Vintage vs New

My children growing older and leaving home has allowed me to get back into our common interest. I find myself wanting a new pair of speakers and I’m torn between some vintage models that interested me in easier times, but were not obtainable due to budgetary limitations, and current models with their state of the art drivers.  Case in point: B&W 801 Matrix Anniversary vs. anything in the 702/703.
I would like to hear people’s thoughts.  
mjjw
Ya the 110Z was hot Rod  by two guys Modeferi of Mac fame and a great tech w ears here in WA - Elite Audio Tech only works on Mac, logging road for driveway to shop..  
the Apogees are wonderful, but so are my ESL 63… nothing in that room is stock… well the NAIM is…
good on ya Heavy
aspiration should always exceed energy
Poking my head back in this forum once every 6 months and nothing has changed just like a 40 yr running soap opera.  Same characters, same script, same drama....

In many instances, vintage speakers took a completely different approach than modern design.  Designed for a higher, steady impedance, they could coax gorgeous sonics from tube amps.  Why do you think Art Dudley coveted the sound of both his 1966 Altec Valencia's and newer Flamenco's?  It depends on the amp you're pairing with and the type of music you appreciate most.  With 300b's or really any SET circuit the sound can be texturally gorgeous.  Certainly much more to my liking than the sound produced by some bright blue 4 ohm clunky box that looks like a DIY job made in someone's garage.
Today’s best is tomorrow’s vintage.  It sounds good today, take care of it and it’ll sound good tomorrow.  Today’s worst is also tomorrow’s vntage, so you can’t generalize very well.  Good is still good even if it’s not THE BEST! (He says as he jams out to some glass tubes and a 15 year old cool beast of an amp).