Vinyl guy seeking recommendation for a top level cd player

I know cds are dead.  Best time to buy a cd player, the way it looks.  I want an all in one box.  I don't stream so a separate DAC is not required.  Most of my cd collection have been ripped to a PC as Flac files and then down loaded to a Sony HAP-Z1ES.  Currently about 3000 Redbook and perhaps 100 SACDs.  The way cds are being dumped I figure on becoming a buyer again so these numbers will go up.  I have looked at Marantz SA10, Esoteric K1 (lightly used), and Luxman D-10X, so far.  It would be good if the sound could approach vinyl.  The Z1 does up to a point.  Listening this morning to the same recordings, the Z1 compares to a high end MM cartridge, but not to a SoundSmith Experion.  Maybe I am asking too much, but in any event a new cd player is being sought.  Thanks in advance for any advice.
Bill
billstevenson
I completely agree with ghdprentice. Just look at his post:
Btw, I have been repeatedly dissatisfied and disappointed by digital for decades… the promise… the failure, rinse, repeat.
He forgets to lather. But aside from that, well said.
This is from someone who thinks a modified Oppo is the best digital can do.

REGA ISIS VALVE cdp/dac

https://www.tonepublications.com/review/the-rega-isis-cd-player-2/

“…. (1) Those worried about the viability of the CD format and getting your player serviced in the future, fear not. Inside the owner’s manual, there is a signature from the technician that assembled your ISIS, another tech that QC’d the electrical and mechanical systems and the tech that tested and archived not one, but two spare laser units. I think it’s safe to say that the ISIS will last longer than most of its owners and I appreciate this attention to detail, with CD transport mechanisms getting scarcer all the time…”

”…. (2) An outstanding DAC that happens to play CD’s, or the other way around?

As the market for high performance CD players is probably nearing its end, Rega gives you the option to use the ISIS as a USB DAC as well. Personally, I’d love to see an SPDIF input on this player, but considering the recent success of the Ayre USB DAC, I’m guessing this is not a deal breaker for the current crop of audiophiles that are more computer based.

While you might be clinging on to your shiny discs for now, the ISIS gives you the options to go both ways and that’s what makes the ISIS such a great value. The DAC performance of the ISIS was also outstanding when streaming files from my Mac Book Pro via the USB input, which is switchable from the front panel or the remote. The only serious drawback to the ISIS is it’s inability to read 24bit/96khz files and this may be the Achilles heel for someone wanting to make this player part of a more computer based system. With 24/96 files becoming the new standard, this will limit your music choices going forward. Personally, I see the ISIS in the same light that I do my Naim 555, a statement CD player for someone with a large collection of physical media...”

Fully appreciate the one box approach and is a good solution for the number of CDs you own. If I remember correctly your Sony has Burr Brown DACs in them which were very popular and good sounding DAC.

I concur with other to look toward an Esoteric of some flavor and would add to listen to one with an AKM AK4497 DAC chips in it. While there are other factors such as analog output stage design and transport that will have an impact on sound, my Linn streamer with their Katalyst DAC  is based on the same chipset and it is simply the best DAC/Analog output stage I have heard or owned. 

Also - this could be your exit market investment in CD playback. Worth a purchase if you will get the use out of it.

"...You misinterpreted my post. A Laser can go out AT ANY TIME..."

I did, I noticed it after I posted and re-read your post. Yes lasers can die abruptly and/or time out.