What process did you use to integrate multiple subwoofers for 2 channel listening?

Today I will be trying to integrate up to three subs. Two are matching Rythmiks F12SE, and one is a REL R-328. The Rythmiks have a variety of adjustable parameters, including phase, crossover, and gain. There are other switches and passes on the sub, but I'm going to try to keep it basic to begin with. The REL has variable gain and crossover; the phase on REL is either 0 or 180.

I have REW for measurement. I will be buying a few more furniture sliders this morning, on doctors orders. ;-)

QUESTION: If you have multiple subs, by what process did you integrate your subs? One at a time? More? Which adjustments did you try first and in what kinds of increment?

I know that trial, error, measuring, and listening will all take time. Rather than look for a needle in a haystack, I'm curious what sequence or process was most effective for you.

Thank you.
128x128hilde45
Now, once you do have four subs in the room sure, you can work on getting their level dialed in. You can kill yourself trying all the different methods. Or you can set the crossover to about 80 and then adjust the volume levels. If you have something like the Dayton SA1000 then you can also use the one band EQ, bass boost, and or low cut filters to tweak things.  

I highly recommend doing all this by ear. Because, see Equal Loudness Contours. Meters measure equally regardless of volume. But our hearing changes dramatically with volume. So you can have it measure flat, but it will only sound flat at one volume level. Above that it will sound like too much bass, below that too little. So it is a trade off compromise situation. 

In my case, I made some pretty big swings early on, then within a few days got to where I was making smaller and smaller changes further and further apart.  

You can get more detailed about it but this really is all there is to it. Listen to a lot of different music over a long enough period of time and then make only a very tiny change. Because you will find some records will sound like there is no bass, the subs are doing nothing. This is the way it should always be. You do not ever want to feel like you are listening to subs. I sure don't. Read the comments. Most people don't even know there are 5 subs in the room until I point them out.

Tim, Noble100 used the crawl method. I tried that, you can do it, but read up and notice we all wind up with pretty much the same thing in the end. Then we all wind up making tiny incremental tweaks until finally at some point, done. 

Sarjan at 6moons has several articles and reviews on integrating subs that are very informative, cutting through all the bunk. John Darko has done similar work as well and he even has videos about his quest to properly integrate his sub.

Worth checking out.

All the best,
Nonoise
I used REW for 4 subs. First I setup the front 2 by themselves and then the back two separate to make sure volume, frequency response was similar and then all four together. 

Thanks. I have 3 subs. @millercarbon, I'm not sure what mistake you're trying to disabuse me of, but all I mean by integrate is make them sound good. Some of the technique won't just be listening but much will. From listening to moving/changing to measuring back to listening. 

you can set the crossover to about 80 and then adjust the volume levels.
That's a helpful bit.

@nonoise  Thanks for the reference.
@mmcely Thanks for sharing your technique concisely. I'll try it.

Just after I posted this, I found this very helpful and detailed discussion: https://www.thehifipodcast.net/episodes/episode-24-how-to-integrate-subwoofer