Putting together turntable rig

Hi,

reaching out to the community in hope of some help regarding putting together a analog rig. Since now I exclusively listen digital. I‘am very happy with my Setup, but was thinking of maybe updating my Audio Analogue AADAC since it is the weakest link.

But about three months ago I have the urge to get a turntable. Had then a loaner from a friend of me, a Dr. Feickert Volare with a Jelco arm and Hana cartridge, Phono Preamp was from Audio Analogue. I was really impressed and enjoyed it a lot.

My chain at the moment:
- Viva Audio Solistino with 845 Elrog’s and vintage tubes
- Cube Audio Nenuphar
- 432evo Aeon Server/Roon Core
- the mentioned AADAC
- Good copper cable’s 
- SOTM Switch 
- Townshends Pucks under all components 
- Audioplan Power-Filter/Star and Plant‘s

I do have already something in mind:
- Dr. Feickert Woodpecker 
- Arms something like Viv Lab Rigid Float, Reed 3P, Origin Live Conqueror 
- No idea for a cartridge yet 
- Preamp Rike Natalija 

It‘s not written in stone, it‘s just the direction I was thinking.

The problem is I do have not the funds right now to get everything at once. There are now two ways that come to my mind. Save long enough and by everything at once. Or, get some “good” parts, mix them for the beginning with some “cheaper“ used ones, and replace them afterwards with the desired ones.
But if going that mixed way, how to start, what would be first priority’s to get the most out of it?

Please excuse my humble english.

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated!

greenhorn20
So you are looking at about a $10k budget to start. I've done this enough to know there really is no right or wrong way, not at all like people want to make you think. Still you have the right idea, just need to shift the priorities a little.  

The turntable itself isn't the most important element, but it is the one you will use the most, see the most, appreciate the most. So if there is a turntable that really gets you going then go for it. Even if it is the most expensive one you can always run it with a lesser arm and cart and upgrade those later like you said.   

The Conqueror arm gets a big recommendation from me. You read the comments about matching arms and cartridges. Read Mark Baker's informative article about that. I am with Mark. Why would you buy any arm that fussy and limit yourself when you can buy a superior Origin Live arm instead and never give these things a moments thought? Let the other guys fret and fuss over it. That's what I do. Wonderful arm. Never give a moments thought to compliance, mass, or any of that. Simply not necessary with a properly designed arm.  

Another huge point in favor of OL, the integral phono lead. You can easily spend $5k just on the phono interconnect. What a waste! The Conqueror with its integral wire eliminates a lot of signal-distorting connections. This alone is another huge plus.  

Table and arm are as close to forever items as you can get. This alone makes it worth the extra to get as good as you can. Mine's been in use a good 17 years now. My system has grown around it like I cannot believe. That is a long time to still be happy, and it only happened because I stretched and put a lot into it.  

That said, the fact remains that like I said there is no one right or wrong way. Keith Herron makes a fantastic phono stage. Well, he did. If you had the chance to buy a VTPH2A I would leap all over it, screw the budget, screw the table, you can always get those later. These are hard to come by. Point being not to try and get one, but to keep an eye out for all the possibilities. Sounds like you have a plan to keep at it, and that is the right idea, because slow and steady wins this race. https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367
I believe you cant go wrong with the Feickert turntables. I've head both the Woodpecker with a Kuzma 4 point arm, and the Volare with the stock Origin Live arm. Both were stunning. The Woodpecker would be my dream table but the Volare punches way above it's price imo and it's going to be my end game table. 
For 10k, I think you might find a demo or used Woodpecker with a good arm for around 7k, add a giant killer AT Art9 XI for 1k and there are lots of amazing phono stages that can be found in the 2k range especially if you go used.
Try using the turntable without the arm and cartridge…the point is that They including phono preamp are a system. What do your local dealer carry, support and setup ? The good news, this is golden age of musical, well engineered and reliable LP playback systems….many, many excellent combinations… One essential bit to nail down is the question of how much good gain ( in the phono ) do you need to buy ? MM or MI will widen out your choice. 

Have fun, enjoy the music and never apologize for your English

Jim
@greenhorn20

Buy the best turntable you can afford and if possible the best arm. You can upgrade the cartridge easier later.