McIntosh - is it that great?

I'm just curious if McIntosh gear is all that great. How does their older power amps compare to new products from other high end manufactures? Are there any products I should stay away from. I like the idea of owning vintage McIntosh stuff. Most of their stuff seems pricy. Is it because it's that good or do people just like to collect their products. thanks for you opinions--Matt
mattman
Love Mac gear!

Auditioned a mac amp with sonus faber speaks and the music hall CD player, Pink Floyd the wall cd.

Sat in the room, he left us, I (I mentioned this before)
had my 2-3 year old kid w me, no kidding, after maybe 4-6 minutes, and my kids fidgeting demeanor, whining, crying, etc, the lil one was sound asleep, as I nearly was. There is a magic to some components, and that was amazing.

I would say, yes, Mac gear is great stuff, and reliable, or at least the rumors are reliability.     How is their customer service after warranty?  Big bucks I’m sure.
    For some of the audio gear, I would expect more warranties like Bryston, Odyssey, Sanders, BIC, ETC.

those 1K watt mono’s have been o n my list since they came out.
     Probably won’t happen.
as you can’t buy Mac used and have a warranty.  Don’t like that. 

Yes, Mac amps are wicked good!
Post removed 
Ive always viewed Mcintosh older tube amps as a music lovers amp.  The 240, 275, MC30 and MC225 are timeless pieces that just sound like real music.
the older McIntosh tubes amps, The MC30, The MC225, MC240, and MC275 are music lovers amps.  They just sound like real music and you can listen all day long.
I have always thought the looks are very cool, in an old school retro kind of way.  In a friend's system I heard the sound seemed pretty soft and romantic to my ears but I don't know if that was a result of the Mac preamp and amp being used.