Help with first cable upgrade.

I have a Musical Fidelity v-150, rotel rp-3000 turntable and an old Sony CD player.  I have 2 sets of speakers B&W CM2's and JM Lab chorus floorstanding speakers I may have to part with due to space.  My power cables and interconnect cables are cheap stock.  My speaker cables are a 20 year old or so set of MIT shotgun cables.  Any recommendations for budget friendly cables that may help the bass or soften the brightness of my system?  Thanks.
shimanole
OP if you can solder great, if you can't you might have fun if you learn how. Google " silver signal tape interconnects. You can build a interconnect for under $20. I ran across this article  20 years ago and this is what made me buy a soldering iron and learn to solder. These packing tape interconnects sound very good for what they are. I started out with using copper magnet wire for a $10 an interconnect pair, then bought some silver wire and cost went to maybe less than $20 per pair. I would guess they can sound as good as $200-$300 cables. From there I built much more exotic cables but it's a good place to start. The cables in my system are all store bought but are just stupid money but on a budget you can't beat diy interconnect and power cables. 
Thanks Paul.  I do have an old Pace soldering station and might consider the idea of DIY.  I was planning on tinkering with the old The Fisher 800 but starting with cabling might be fun.  Thanks!
Since they both sound better than what you have been using, I would continue to test the Toshiba against the Sony 700. After longer term listening you might actually find you like the Toshiba over the Sony.  

I might also suggest you upgrade the stock interconnects between player and amp. Used lower level Audioquest cables in the 'snake' series such as the Sidewinder or Copperhead come up for sale on Ebay. I am thinking you can purchase a significantly better interconnect, over the stock ones that came with your equipment, buying used at $30 to $50. I am away from home right now, will return in a week. PM me, I may be able to put together a package deal for you regarding speaker, IC, and PC cables for cost of shipping. 

Not knowing your older MIT speaker cables, not sure if the Canare ones will make the change you are looking for. I do own a pair of Canares, they are great at the price.

Given you have found a player better suited to your tastes, I would upgrade your stock cable collection at less cost than the purchase of the Loki. Then consider it thereafter. Not that I have anything against one, I am just not sure you will need it till other things are sorted out.

Just some of my thoughts. 

Thanks mesch. 

I'd love to try out some cables before I outlay the money for the Loki.  Just let me know what you have in mind and I'll work something out with you.  Sent you a pm and thanks again.
Audience Ohno cables are worth a listen and quite reasonably priced, especially when available used.