Looking for an amp that punches way about its weight and I can grow with

So recently I purchase a McIntosh MC300 from a reputable dealer and got it and plugged it in and turned it and a nice arc/small flame came out the top and then the amp no longer worked.  So I am sending it back, and sending back a McIntosh is no funny it is too heavy and there are too may boxes!!!  Anyway this have given me time to think and do a lot more reading and I find this forum has some very open views on their thoughts which I love.  So that being said I am looking for an amp that punches way above its weight.  They will be driving Martin Logan Electromotion ESL's.  I know that electrostatic speakers require amps over watts (I think that is what I have be reading but I am still learning)

So a couple of the important details; my budget is around $3000 with a little wiggle room.  The rest of my system is as follows: SOTA Sapphire VI turntable, McIntosh MP100 Phono pre, Schiit Feya+ tube rolled pre.  90% of the music I listen to is Rock the other 10% is Jazz.  I am looking for something that will last me awhile and be great for a Martin Logan upgrade at some point.  I have been looking at some stuff by Rogue and Odyssey but dont know the brands well.  I also live out on the middle of nowhere and all I really have available to listen to is McIntosh.  So any feedback would be greatly appreciated.   
128x128justinrphillips
@tvad how did the LTAs stack up against the others. You’ve tried some interesting amps.

They are both very extended and transparent. Deep resolving bass Smooth. Grain free highs. Exceptionally quiet. Large image. I thought the ZOTL40 with its EL34 tubes had a little more forward midrange “bloom”.

I thought they lacked some “flesh on the bones” if that makes sense. In contrast, the AtmaSphere M60 have more of that quality.

@OP I am not familiar with the impedance and sensitivity of your current speakers or Martin Logans. But I would say if your budget is approximately $3K for the amp it would be good to know if you plan to only use high sensitivity speakers or not because that will impact the wattage you will need to some degree. More so with SS than with tubes. As far as Pass Labs I think they are generally going to be beyond your budget especially if your wattage need is high. I even think a Bryston 4B3, which is a great amp, might be beyond your budget unless their used market value has dropped. For keeping within budget you will definitely make it with a pair of Schiit Aegirs or Vidars used as monoblocks. But not sure they meet the punch above their weight criteria.  Maybe. But, and this maybe controversial for some of us here, I think you can find something within your budget, that will represent good value, and if purchased through a reputable company or it’s US distributor, if you look to a Chinese company. Contrary to some opinions here, and political issues aside, companies like Denafrips, Keces, Holo Audio and others who I am not recalling make quality products. I own some of them. If they make amplifiers I would check them out. But, as I have said on other posts, no matter who the company is, always try to pay with a credit card that values your business and has excellent buyer representation when disputing a charge. Use that card through PayPal so your card info is protected. IMO the best card to use per the above is American Express. Since I don’t think you are interested in active speakers I will leave it at that. I hope that was helpful. 
+1 @jperry for the Aesthetix Atlas. Superb hybrid amp. Best part is that you can send it in to get upgraded at any time as funds allow. A great long term buy. 
The Esl and esl x are great speakers! I had the esl x and eventually upgraded to the esl 13a. Here is my opinion.. ML speakers love power... but not just watts, they also need volts. 
Do yourself a favor and read this:
http://sanderssoundsystems.com/technical-white-papers/52-esl-amp-white-paper

I have the magtech amp and it’s totally badass. Im not saying that its the one for you but I promise that high voltage is super important. 
Maybe demo a t+a amp 8 as it is a hv design... or just pony up for the magtech 
They are both very extended and transparent. Deep resolving bass Smooth. Grain free highs. Exceptionally quiet. Large image. I thought the ZOTL40 with its EL34 tubes had a little more forward midrange “bloom”.

I thought they lacked some “flesh on the bones” if that makes sense.

sidebar comment and response to @tvad's post above

i also have the lta zotl40 ref - the amp is definitely among the most transparent, 'insightful' tube amps out there... certainly the most transparent i have heard and i have had many many of them... the degree of midrange and midbass bloom from that amp can be improved by using mullard old stock el34's or (their close equivalents) and careful selection of input tubes