Best speaker in the $5-10K range. Details below.

Thank you all in advance for your help. I am a long time member but first time poster. I have a speaker budget of ~$5k. I could stretch it if needed to 8-9 if necessary and 10 MAYBE.

My room is 16'x18' with 10' ceilings. I am currently using Usher 6311's with a JL Audio f112. I am enjoying the sound I have but would like to upgrade. Using a Metrum DAC, Dodd Battery preamp and AMB labs balanced B22 amp (30-50 wpc).

I would like to upgrade my speakers but I do not have the time or opportunity to audition speakers at hifi dealers.

Based upon reading mags, web searches, etc. I have come up with some considerations. Speakers that might fit my requirements include Legacy Classic HD, Salk HT3, VMPS RM 30, Usher Mini Dancer 2 dmd, Magnepan 3.7, and Von Schweikert 35. I am not limiting my search to these and would greatly appreciate any experience, suggestions etc. to help me out.

Musical preferences include mostly rock/classic rock. jazz, and occasionally classical. Thanks again.

Regards,
jjr
joe2687
Not sure where you are located but if you can let us know you can come by and hear my Clearwaves....
I disagree witht he statement about having to try things out before you buy. I have purchaserd over 15 pair of speakers in the past 7 years all over $5k and all but 1 or 2 I never heard until I bought them. I live in Michigan and there just are not high end speaker stores around.

Every single pair I bought had pros and cons. Its mostly a matter of taste and preference more often than not. If your going out and buying brand new and paying retail its gonna cost you to sell them quickly if you don't like them. Buying here on Audiogon is a great way to try different things.
I'm with you, Mpit, as my previous speakers (which I used for five years) and current speakers, both of which I like a lot, were bought sight-unheard. Furthermore, I've auditioned lots of speakers, and generally don't go away feeling very confident (though I'm more confident eliminating than including).

At the same time, the other side will note that you've been through 2 pair of >5k speakers a year for seven years (!), which some might take as good evidence for shopping out/auditioning. I guess the lesson is that the home audition/be willing to trade frequently approach can work, but will require some investment of time and money.

I think Ann Abor has a couple of decent dealers, btw.

John
Clearwave looks interesting Acurus. Not much out there on these though. I would imagine it would be hard for anyone to demo those as well.