Sell Me Your Women, Your Children, Your Vintage Turntable...

Ok I’m trying to understand the appeal of buying something like an old Garrard 301 or an elderly Technics all trussed up in a shiny new plinth, versus something manufactured in the 21st century by people not wearing clogs.

Surely modern gear has to perform better, dollar for dollar? It isn’t like these restored Garrards are exactly cheap, i was looking at one for almost $11k yesterday on Reverb. The internals looked like something out of a Meccano set.
 I ought to be more in tune with the past, I’m almost 60 and wear bell bottoms, but the style of the older TTs just doesn’t do it for me. Now then, my Dr. Feickert Volare had a look that was hardly futuristic, but that’s about as retro as I’d prefer to go.
All that said... I will buy one of these old buggers if it genuinely elevates performance. 
With $10k available for table and arm, on the new or used market, how would you splash the cash?

Rooze 
128x128rooze
No prob. At least you were on the right track. These kids today, they got no culture. Can you believe this? 

“Sell me your children”!
I don’t get it 

mglik, they are on a mission from God.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLUiK2lbN2s
Agree with jasonbourne52, I have an 1980 Linn with a Wand plus 10.2inch tone arm running Dynavector DX20 low output.
@chrisoshea Thanks for the suggestions, but my turntables are sold and I’ve no need for a $2000 phonostage. I wouldn’t think there’s any real age limit for trying a vintage turntable either. I mean, a modern table doesn’t help me get up the stairs or break open a new bag of Depends. As I edge ever closer to death I just might fancy trying something new. ... i mean old. There I go again.
@adsell  Thanks for the suggestions. I’ve looked briefly at Microseiki. That DP 8 you’re using looks nice. I’ve been looking at an Amazon Referenz and they pIay well with the Moerch arms from what I’ve read. How do you like yours?
rooze