Single vs. Dual Subs

It's common wisdom that dual or multiple subs help smooth out bass response in different spots in the room, but what about for a dedicated listening room with a fixed single listening position? What do two subs add to the music presentation that a single dialed in sub is missing provided that single sub is dialed in perfectly for the listening position?
Caveat: not interested in the SWARM method or multiple subs at the moment, strictly comparing single to dual subs
divertiti
@ieales
I am driving the mains as full range because I have no choice.
"What type of XO [BW,LR, BE & order] are you using?"
I would answer your question, but I have no idea what you are talking about. I assume XO is a crossover, but what is everything else?

• XO is a crossover.
  • BW Butterworth, LR Linkwitz-Riley, BE Bessel which are types of crossovers. Each type has a different phase and group delay which impact how well the subs integrate with the mains.
  • Order is dB/octave and controls the slope.

The  Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE claim 30Hz bottom end. It's a ported design. The subs are unported and thus the bottom end characteristics are radically different.

It's a good move to use the miniDSP. Turn the sub's XO frequency all the way up and set Phase to 0.

You should use something other an integrated so you are not driving the main speakers full range. With a 70Hz corner in the miniDSP, I surmise there is a LOT of incoherent bottom and mid-bass in the room. 70Hz is easily localizable.

Having used full range monitors in recording studios and subs at home, it my experience that maximum musical impact occurs with coherent low end.

Good luck.
Caveat: not interested in the SWARM method or multiple subs at the moment, strictly comparing single to dual subs
- divertiti

Second who said the first sub can’t have 6 active drivers and 12 passive radiators, BUT all in the same SINGLE 50 cubic foot box. :-)
- oldhvymec
I’ve got dual opposing drivers in the same enclosure (internal vibration cancellation), both dual voice coil 10". It’s been on springs since the day it was dragged into my system, abused for being so heavy and awkward.
I cannot get another class D amp module to match the one I have, so I’m thinking of making two more dual opposing driver subs (they will be on springs also) and using four drivers in two enclosures. Taking my 2 x 400 watt AB power amp to drive just the subs, and go valve for the stand mounts.

May toy with using the dual driver sub I currently have somewhere in the mix as well??

As I’m strictly digital at the moment, a DSP isn’t a bad idea, I’ve only used one in the car, with excellent results. The DSP was used on a single sub. So I have experience with single subs, however, I do believe it's an upgrade to use more.
mijostyn, I appreciate your suggestions and yes I'm pathetically stuck on analog but our low frequency system is master and slave digitally processor controlled.

At shows I'm regularly impressed by total bandwidth room correction demonstrations and then I walk into an analog demo and am often quickly reminded. 

divertiti, after many 18" single subwoofers when some dedicated subwoofer manufactures began designing ten and twelve inch top line models I liked the idea of at least two smaller units. After experimenting with four subs I found my room loaded nicely with just two 12"s running summed L/R located asymmetrically in the rooms largest bass modes. Good luck with it.
Hi divertiti

As someone who has had a variety of two channel monitors over a long period, differing rooms and challenges, I've discovered that a pair of subs properly matched to the personality of your mains is terrific.  My sealed subs are positioned below my monitors, with a radiating pattern that integrates nicely with the mains in a fairly nearfield, small room, well away from front and side walls.  My pro dac steeply rolls off 80hz down to their tube amp for the mains and the subs from 80 down to the high 20's with purity and resolve. This arrangement makes for a very coherent and near full range presentation.  The disappearing tricks of great monitors, staging, et al work their magic,  with appropriate slam.  I considered a swarm but decided against it in a small studio.  Bonne chance, divertiti!  More Peace, Pin