What Are Your Reference Discs? or Specific Reference Tracks

Looking for new gems!  My reference discs are: Graceland, Paul Simon  Avalon, Roxy Music  Brothers in Arms, Dire Straits  So, Peter Gabriel  Ten Summoner's Tales, Sting 

What are yours?

wweiss
Good exercise OP!

Let's see ... many good ones above; what might I suggest:

Kamikiriad, Don Fagan et al. (Could be best produced work since Moving Pictures, Rush)
Widespread Panic
Big Head Todd and the Monsters:
Miles Davis
Beethoven Violin Concerto; Anne Sophie Mutter ... she gets more sound outta a violin!!
Oh, anything from Lyle Lovett ... IKR?  It's true!

AudioKnob

Jethro Tull “Thick as a Brick” one of the best produced albums ever IMO

Pink Floyd “The Wall” Great studio drum production

Doors “Morrison Hotel” sound stage and width

Stevie Ray “Tin Pan Alley” Great guitar breaks in 

Dire Straits “Live concert in NY HD” you tube video
you get the full live show sound coming through. No studio album has ever recreated concert drums and bass sound.
I'm with MC on this one.   
Allow an explanation:

I have a music system not a "HiFi."  
Any guests can pick music that they like, everyone's tastes are different.
There IS no better "demo" than hearing music that one knows and loves.
If I want to show off something unique Ican play some 4 channel tapes.
Since they are one offs it serves no purpose to list tracks here.
I tend to listen to something that I know well, because I play it a little more often and dig it.

As I like to travel, pretty much all over, if I can hear a system here and there, I'll make an effort. Sometimes that which I know well isn't available to listen to, I do think generally you can get an idea of timbre, cabinet resonance, breakout, and some idea of the driver interaction and integration.

@emrofsemanon - please use paragraphs sir?
You did say a fair bit. I did try to read it all, as you had some good points, but it was a chore only because there was no space to reference where I was.

I'm not trying to disrespect you sir, I figure if you're going to the effort to share well thought out information, the more legible the more Agoners will read it through.

The notion that there are no "test tracks" in audio is ludicrous.

Ever test drive a car? Of course. Why? Various reasons.
To test limits.
To test special circumstances.
To test normal driving conditions.
Etc.

Test tracks can be ear candy and test limits.
Test tracks can be normal stuff and that gives information, too.
Test tracks can be badly recorded or old compressed stuff.

One can pay close attention, or just listen relaxedly, or even pay oblique attention. One can even go out of the room and see how it sounds out there. (Ever get drawn into a room from the hallway at an audio show? Something brought you inside even though you were far from the sweet spot. What was that? That’s relevant, too.)

The argument against test tracks needs to be understood for what it typically (and inexplicitly) is - an argument against a track which isn’t comprehensively representative of the various kinds of music which could/will be played or the various ways we could/will listen to it.

It’s merely good scientific method to reject the pretense that a test can pretend to be more than what it is. But that doesn’t mean such tests don’t have any value -- only that their value needs to be specified in a proportionate way relative to the overall experimental question.

And as for "Year of the Cat" well that track is just fine. It’s just that MC testifies here against needing test tracks and elsewhere he mentions Year of the Cat multiple times. Kinda funny.