How much reality do you really need?

The real question to the audiophile  is, “how much reality do you need” to enjoy your system? Does it have to be close to an exact match?  How close before your satisfied?  Pursuing that ideal seems to be the ultimate goal of the audiophile.
The element of your imagination has to come into the equation, or you’ll drive yourself mad.  You have to fill in part of the experience with your mind.
But this explains the phenomenon of “upgraditis.”
128x128rvpiano
Does it matter? I would ask: look at the sky, what color is it? You say blue and I say red. Then you ask: look at the ocean, what color is it? I say red and you say blue. We understand each other.
@jjss49 , I respectfully disagree. If I put the whole lot of you in a room with an "absolute sound" system all of you would agree right away that is the best you have heard. You know it when you hear it. It is like seeing a hologram. Everybody will see it and be amazed. Not that it won't have some faults but with the best systems you can close your eyes and see the individual instruments and voices. The speakers disappear. It is more than and instrument here and a guitar there. The individual instruments and voices have space around them. My own feeling is that it is 80% speaker and room, 15% amp and 5% everything else. The cheapest system I have heard do this was in and around $90,000 in todays money.
Which in the realm of high end audio is not all that bad. I have heard 200 to 300K systems that did not make it. Perhaps they could with the right speaker placement and room treatment but for whatever reason they did not get there. I also think over dampening the room is better than under dampening. All three systems I heard that made it were strongly directional limiting room interaction....I think. 
My own feeling is that it is 80% speaker and room, 15% amp and 5% everything else. The cheapest system I have heard do this was in and around $90,000 in todays money.
You are right in the first sentence....

You are not wrong in the second sentence,but give me 15,000 bucks and i will make it sound like the 90,000 bucks one....Why not if i can make my 500 bucks system sound like a 15,000 bucks one ?

There is no reality. It is all an illusion.
This is naive philosophy.... When all is illusion, reality exist, it is the "relation" between all these illusions....Call it consciousness... If you cannot spell it by this name it is because you are a naive "materialist"...

«Reality bind all illusions and they become " real"  illusions like in a game; illusion and reality are one loving conscious act called playing...»- Anonymus Smith

«Music is not sound, this is an illusion; music is through sound, this is reality»-Anonymus Smith

«I was just thinking the opposite....»-Groucho Marx 🤓
Go to a club. Every table (and thus, every patron) is oriented differently towards the sound-vibrations projected from the musicians onstage (each of whom hears their combined efforts differently). There's the guy running the sound-board, the woman in the tight black dress shunting drinks and over-priced sushi from the bar. . . who's actually perceiving "reality" in this scenario? Seems to me, reality is the combination of all of these perspectives or aural focal-points. You can arbitrarily choose one location in the venue as your baseline and then set about assembling a system with the goal of trying to replicate how sound vibrations are behaving in that particular location, at a particular time. . .  If that floats your boat, go for it.

What I seek in listening is a sense of heightened aliveness and this is what determines my gear choices. "How alive do I feel in this room with this music, on this system, right now?" is, for me, the operative question.
Call me unsophisticated but I don't want to be burdened by worrying about whether what I'm hearing is an accurate replication of what ocurred on a December night in 1962 at Rudy Van Gelder's studio. 
"I would ask: look at the sky, what color is it? You say blue and I say red."
Should read: "I would ask: look at the sky, what color is it? You say blue and I say blue.". However, in my reality, I see blue and call it blue. You see (my) red and call it blue. There is no way to prove this is not happening.