Is your heart filled with a love of music, or something else?

I was dismayed by much of what was being said in a very recent, now deleted thread. Many of the statements made were not just pretty extreme, but also filled with visceral hatred. The Matthew 6:24 passage in the Bible came to mind: "No one can serve two masters." Can a heart so filled with hatred be open to the beauty of music?

This world can be a brutal, ugly place. My friends and I retreaded from the horrific events of 1968 (and the mentality which lead to them) by totally immersing ourselves in music, tuning out the outside world. Unfortunately, the U.S.A. seems far worse to me now than it did then.

I take refuge and find solace in the music contained in my LP and CD library, and am very thankful for living in a time when music may be heard via recordings at the touch of a button---a very recent development, in terms of man’s entire history. How fortunate are we?!

Isn’t it enough to share the love of music---and the equipment that allows us to hear it in our homes, enough for us all here? Why spoil that with talk of matters less satisfying to our souls? I was pleased to see that many of my favorite Audiogon members refrained from joining the referred to conversation.
128x128bdp24
There are music lovers and gear lovers but some are both but either way it is the heightened sense of music that matters the most i think to all of us.
stuartk wrote:
"The human ego is always seeking ways to justify its agenda"

My ego is at ease while listening to music so this is a non-starter for me. In fact, I'm often humbled while listening to great musicians & what they are able to create.

Since we all process music differently, please expand upon your statement if you would. 

Thanks
jmalen123, Destiny still slays me (Kink FM live version), discovered Larkin Poe on a youtuber binge last year. Music Matters! Cheers, Fellow S. Oregonian
boxer12

I was reflecting on the frictions that arise here and on other forums and how they are often less about the topic at hand and more about unconsci-ous ego-driven impulses, such as "the need to feel or be seen as right", "the need to feel be seen as smarter", etc. We are all susceptible to this but being aware of when we are being triggered/engaged in defending an idealized view of ourselves certainly helps in such circumstances. If we're aware of how it feels to be caught up in such states, we can rein in the drive to "prove" a point-- a drive that often involves "proving the other guy is wrong". 

Perhaps my earlier post will make more sense, now. I hope so. 

arafiq:

I invite you to consider the possibility that to say "Rap is not music" is not necessarily a put-down.  

There are differing definitions of "music". 

The one I go by requires that three aspects be present (listed in no specific order): rhythm, melody and harmony.

Rap has rhythm but very little or no melody or harmony. What is most apprent is the language. Therefore, I'd define it as a spoken-word art, much more akin to poetry than music.  

I love many African-American musical genres-- most of my listening is to Jazz and when it comes to guitar-playing, one of my favorites to play has always been Blues. I also read poetry and have spent many years trying to write it. So it's not that I don't appreciate or respect African-influenced music or the art of stringing words together.

I simply don't happen to find Rap aesthetically appealing or engaging. 
I don't care for New Country, Metal, Prog, Contemporary R&B or Smooth Jazz,  either.

And, the fact that these other genres DO fit my definition of music, has, in actuality very little, if anything, to do with my dislike for them. The same is true of Rap. I don't dislike it "because it's not music" -- it simply doesn't appeal to me. 

Now, I'm not denying that the statement "Rap is not music" is often used as a criticism. It is, and the same thing has been said of Bebop, Early Rock 'N Roll, Free Jazz and other genres.

I'm simply offering another angle. 

I'm not here to fight. I'd ideally like this to be a place where people with differing viewpoints can learn about the viewpoints of others rather than immediately getting triggered into conflict about who is "right". When it comes to aesthetics, you can try to prove that mustard is the right thing to put on a hot dog, not ketchup, but good luck coming up with a definitive argument. It's very subjective.