A phenomenal new CD transport-Pro-Ject CD Box RS2 transport

I have had in-house for the last week Pro-Ject's new CD Box RS2 transport to review for the website Stereo Times. I was very curious to assess its performance because it uses the Pro 8 drive with the Blue Tiger CD-84 servo card. This drive was developed and built by StreamUnlimited a company started by the original Phillips designers that historically built the finest CD mechanisms. Only two other companies use the StreamUnlimited 8 drive and Blue Tiger CD-84 servo card, their pieces cost $16,000 and $39,000 compared to Pro-Ject's sane price of $3,000!

My reference for the last two years has been the excellent Jay's Audio MK-II transport that had out-performed much more expensive highly regarded transports in my system. Well, across every sonic parameter  (transparency/micro-details-overall dynamics/bottom-end extension/purity of tonality- a much more airy sound-stage with wonderful 3D imaging) compared to the Jay's Audio transport.

That's way I titled this thread a "phenomenal new CD transport" because while not inexpensive, it just might be a bargain based on its performance. Mind you, this superlative level of performance is based on using the switching power supply that Pro-Ject ships the transport with. I have shortly coming a custom 20 watt 3 amp linear power supply from Linear Tube Audio and Pro-Ject's own upgraded power supply to see if the RS2 transport performance will even go to a higher qualitative level of performance.

I'll be writing a full detailed review for Stereo Times in the near future. However, I wanted to share this information to GON members who still spin CDs. I have had numerous CD transports in for evaluation and this just might be the best sounding of all of them.

Teajay (Terry London)

amorstereo
Why is there always a degenerate loud mouth on every thread? You can't just come in a thread and try to learn something in peace.
It appears that Phillips/Stream Unlimited is looking to give Teac some competition. Utilizing some of the same attributes that made Teac's mechanism one if not the best ever produced. - Milled solid aluminum, extra rigid clamping device and carbon fiber chassis with vibration damping system. 

I believe that the Teac/Esoteric Neo VRDS Mechanism is regarded as the premier Drive Unit. The VRDS Mechanism was first used in earlier Teac CDP models and then produced for companies like Wadia.

After the success of  companies like Wadia CDP models, and diminishing sales of Teac CDPs, Teac produced CDPs and transports exclusively built around a enhanced VRDS mechanism under the Esoteric name. They ceased to produce VRDS mechanisms for any other company. Until...

Wadia was supposed to have negotiated a deal to feature the VRDS NEO in their 981 model, before their demise, which only made it to the  prototype stage. Only 6 units were produced, however its rumored that only 1 actually has the VRDS in it. The other 5 have the Stream Unlimited mechanism which was standard in the s7i Models. 

dcs uses the Teac VRDS Neo VMK3 Mechanism in Vivaldi One models.
They use the same/similar Stream Unlimited mechanism ( as Wadia used) in their Rossini Model.
@amorstereo, Have you heard any of the CEC belt drives?

For e.g how would the CEC TL5 at the same price point compare to the the RS2 or the Jays CDT2, am very curious to know.
I have just got done listening for five hours to the Pro-Ject transport with Pro-Ject's upgraded external power supply and reference connecting cable between them.
It took this superbly performing transport to another level in the following ways:
1) Layering and placement of instruments in an airy and enveloping sound-stage became even more precise and 3D in nature.
2) The noise floor went down, so the smallest micro-details were revealed even more clearly.
3) The bottom-end is faster/tighter and better controlled.
4) There is even more a "sense of ease" that many would refer to as analog sounding in nature.

The combo of the Pro-Ject transport and the Audio Note UK 3.1/II Balanced DAC is by fair the best digital front end I have had in-house. My only slight criticism towards Pro-Ject would be they ship this great transport with a very inexpensive switching power supply, which stills sound terrific in spite of it, for 3K. Hell, add the cost of the upgraded linear power supply and sell them as a pair for a reasonable up charge.