DAC Choices - $5,000 to $7,000

What are the current top DAC choices in the approximately $5-$7K price range (new or used) that I should look at as possible upgrades to my current Metrum Adagio?  Having an on-board volume control is not a factor as I can operate my system either way.   If I wanted to spend more I would look at Totaldac, Rockna Wavedream Signature, or one of the other top-end contenders, but I selected the price range to achieve a sound quality that is consistent with the rest of my system and because I don't want to spend more due to the still evolving nature of digital technology.  I do like the more natural sound (to my ears) of NOS R2R DACs.  So far, I have considered the three below, but none seem to be a slam-dunk upgrade from the Adagio, which still sounds pretty good in my system.  The decision is complicated by having to "buy to try" so that I can hear one in my system.  Maybe now is not the time for an upgrade.  Any thoughts?

• Denafrips Terminator w/DSP board - Reportedly has the full body/dense tone type of sound I like, but also has a high'ish output impedance 
  • Holo May KTE - Reportedly measures great for an R2R DAC and has strong reviews 
  • Rockna Wavelight - Some reviewers like it but others put it in the middle of the pack for the price
mitch2
I highly recommend the wyred for sound 10th anniversary dac, it's the most analog sounding dac that I've ever had in my system and I put it up against the Sim audio DAC for $15,000 and the 10th anniversary dac left it in the dust. Darko also did a review of this dac and he said it was better than the PS audio stream chord and a few others. And another reviewer said it was the most analog sounding dac that they've had in their system I totally agree.
I would say the VEGA G2.1 will be one of the top performers on this price range due to its jitter free operation (internal record and replay with it's own clocking) and the r2r volume control.
@ddafoe
@ddafoe@dsper, I did exactly as you suggested last year; sold my Bricasti M3 and tried the ASR darlings RME ADI2 FS and Topping D90...

@d@divertiti@dsper Unless you want your dac quest into having to rebuild your entire system, maybe best to stick to choices that will work well with your existing components that you already own and like. 
I finally made some moves with DACs instead of just talking about it. First, I bought a Soekris 1341 DAC (unbalanced) for $900. This replaced my Theta ProBasic III. The only difference I truly heard was a bit more detail but not necessarily a better sounding DAC.

Then, I made a decision to try a more expensive DAC. With the Mystique EVO getting all the recent press, I was able to buy a Mystique V3, which was a $5500 DAC when new, at a good price.

It is an ear opener.

The V3 brings more bass to my system such that I can now hear the 25 Hz test tone on the Stereophile Test CD-2. Never could hear this before.

More importantly, the Mystique has awakened my Thiel CS5i's. Dynamic contrast is better and the sound seems to flow better. The imaging and soundstage has improved. I am not sure how to describe this exactly but the Thiel's are disappearing in a new way for me. I can look right at a speaker and "see" an instrument in front of the speaker. It is fleshed out like it is right there in the room.

Whoppee!

Thanks for listening!

Dsper
Speaking or Auralic Vega G2.1, which is right at the boundary of OP’s $5-7k range, has anyone done a comparison of that streamer/dac versus those discussed in this thread (Mojo, Holo May, PS Audio, Chord Dave, Denefrips, etc.)?

TIA
FWIW...

A quick update on the Mojo Audio Mystique V3 compared to a Soekris 1421 and Theta ProBasic III.

I have been playing all three DACs in my system for about two weeks now. Perfectwave Transport, CJ 17LS2 preamp, DNA-500 amp, and Thiel CS5i speakers.

Musicality: Mystique is the most musical as I catch myself listening into the music and not the sound. It has the best pace/beat and is toe tapping; followed by the Theta, and then the Soekris. 

Emotion: Mystique blows the other two away in this this category. Sort of ties in the with musicality for me.

Space: Mystique does space well with lots of ambient clues. Best depth of soundstage followed by Theta and then Soekris or Soekris and then Theta depending on recording. Hard to describe this.

Soundstage (or Imaging?): The Mystique can make me think there is an instrument distinctly in front of the speaker and it is extending sound to the outside of the speakers. This does not happen with the Soekris or the Theta. 

Detail: Soekris and Mystique are pretty much a tie. The Theta is slightly behind. This shows up in the treble for me as the Theta can sound slightly more harsh than the other two on bright recordings. I am thinking it is not giving enough detail to the Thiel tweeters, which can be a pain if not fed properly.

Dynamics: Mystique and Soekris are very close followed by the Theta.

Bass: Mystique is the most textured and nuanced followed by Theta and then Soekris. Deepest bass is maybe the Soekris followed by the Mystique. Theta is very close to the other two. 

Sorting out vocals and instruments: Mystique followed by Soekris. Theta, is not that far behind the Soekris.

Summary: I think the better power supply and whatever the Mojo Audio folks are doing in the output stage makes the Mystique sound the most real with live presence to me. The Soekris, at 1/6th of the retail price of the Mystique, is a good DAC but it is not as musical and nuanced, which are real important to me. The Theta, $2700 when new, stands up pretty well for a twenty year old DAC.. Depending on your priorities and system, you might prefer it to the Soekris. 

YMMV.

Thanks for listening,

Dsper