Interesting HDMI Problem: OPPO UDP-205

I have a McIntosh MX122, OPPO UDP-205, and a Sony Bravia OLED.   The OPPO is connected to the MX122 through both an HDMI connection (BluRay "in") and RCA patch cables (CD "in") so that I can use the OPPO DACs for listening to audio CDs.

The Sony is connected to the MX122 through the Monitor 1 output.

I've been having intermittent audio dropouts when using the analog connection to listen to audio CDs on the UDP-205.   I've finally traced the problem to the Sony Bravia.   The Sony implementation of Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) is called "Bravia Sync."

In the Bravia Sync menu, Sony does not provide an "OFF" setting.  They have "Enable" and...nothing to turn CEC "OFF."  What they have you do is delete the HDMI equipment list from the Sony CEC sub-menu.   This does NOT turn CEC "OFF" - it simply hides the expanded CEC menu as you no longer have an equipment list to control, while leaving the CEC feature / circuit active.

The CEC is active even when the Sony is turned "OFF," because, in reality - the Sony is on standby and only the screen has been turned off.  The electronics are still active because the Sony can be programmed to automatically turn itself "ON" when it senses a different piece of equipment turn on through the CEC / HDMI circuit.

What happens with the Sony turned "ON" or "OFF" is that the Sony constantly looks for equipment through the HDMI connection.   It's randomly looking for a friend and sending out a handshake signal.  This disrupts the UDP-205 as it's processing audio through its DACs and it momentarily times out to send a "Yeah stupid, I'm still here" response back to the Sony.

Haven't quite figured out where to go from here...as I don't have a resolution to the problem - but, I thought this might help someone else if they're having the same type of problem.

buckhorn_cortez
 @esmurrell - Look on your TV remote for a button called "Pic Off" (mine is on the bottom-right corner). The TV remains on but the picture is cut off.
I was having a similar issue, but the fix ended up being a bit different. I have my oppo connected via HDMI to a TCL TV, and also via RCA to a rogue integrated amp for analogue playing. 

The TV is connected via eARC to a samsung sound bar. 

The connection between the TV and the soundbar had become loose. When I pushed it in better, it resolved the oppo skipping issue. This, despite the fact that the TV was off. Strange. 

Ah well, something to do during Quarantine!
The skipping issue is the same for me with the UP-205 (AU) teamed with the Toshiba 65U775. So frustrating. You would have thought they would have a firmware fix for this. The best fix for me is to either switch the TV off or have it on at the same time I am playing my CDs but with "Pure Audio" from the Oppo remote.

Apart from this issue that could not be fixed or emulated by the seller (Apolllo HiFi) or the distributor, I find the Oppo an excellent player.
I have the same issues with the Sony OLED and my OPPO 203. Every time I stop, or start the Oppos playback, whether it's a pause or whatever,, my Marantz 8805 switches to "TV audio" as if I was firing up the Roku. Which is exactly as it should for running the Roku, but not the OPPO. The Oppo’s sound comes from a dedicated HDMI straight from the Oppo to the Marantz. Why it switches that input is beyond me.
Good evening all,                  5/29/2021

I have also experienced the same 5 second  audio cut out problem with CD playback and have come up with a work around (but not a true root cause solution).  It would also randomly switch off the AVR in the middle of a CD track.

Over the winter we did some upgrades and put in two dedicated 20 amp circuits and split up the AV components between the 2 separate sources. 
Each feed has a Furman PC Pro power conditioner.

The CD playback was fine when played back on the main circuit with both the Oppo 103D and the Panasonic BPD U 9000, through an Integra DRX-R1.

The problem occurred when the second circuit was energized which fed a SVS powered Subwoofer, and a Sony OLED XBR AG9 TV.

Both the OPPO and the Panasonic 9000 have the 5 second cut out problem, with the second circuit on which has the TV connected. This happens with the TV off or on.

I checked for all firm ware updates and had good quality HDMI Cables.

I tried several old and brand new CD's, and switched the output connections. Even upgraded various HDMI cables. But nothing solved the problem.

In researching the culprit it appears the problem is with the EARC HMDIn circuit that is connected to the Sony TV via HDMI..

For now during CD music playback I have simply unplugged the EARC HDMI cable from the back of the AVR and the CD now play the entire recording without the 5 second skip...

I will have to study some of the solutions listed above but for now pulling the EARC HDMI has allowed uninterrupted CD playback 

Hopefully the TV design engineers can revisit this EARC HDMI circuit and provide a default solution to prevent this problem.

Thank you all,

Dan