A phenomenal new CD transport-Pro-Ject CD Box RS2 transport

I have had in-house for the last week Pro-Ject's new CD Box RS2 transport to review for the website Stereo Times. I was very curious to assess its performance because it uses the Pro 8 drive with the Blue Tiger CD-84 servo card. This drive was developed and built by StreamUnlimited a company started by the original Phillips designers that historically built the finest CD mechanisms. Only two other companies use the StreamUnlimited 8 drive and Blue Tiger CD-84 servo card, their pieces cost $16,000 and $39,000 compared to Pro-Ject's sane price of $3,000!

My reference for the last two years has been the excellent Jay's Audio MK-II transport that had out-performed much more expensive highly regarded transports in my system. Well, across every sonic parameter  (transparency/micro-details-overall dynamics/bottom-end extension/purity of tonality- a much more airy sound-stage with wonderful 3D imaging) compared to the Jay's Audio transport.

That's way I titled this thread a "phenomenal new CD transport" because while not inexpensive, it just might be a bargain based on its performance. Mind you, this superlative level of performance is based on using the switching power supply that Pro-Ject ships the transport with. I have shortly coming a custom 20 watt 3 amp linear power supply from Linear Tube Audio and Pro-Ject's own upgraded power supply to see if the RS2 transport performance will even go to a higher qualitative level of performance.

I'll be writing a full detailed review for Stereo Times in the near future. However, I wanted to share this information to GON members who still spin CDs. I have had numerous CD transports in for evaluation and this just might be the best sounding of all of them.

Teajay (Terry London)

amorstereo
No, it's not applying the approach that is used by the PS Audio transport. This is a totally different/new device for spinning CDs.

Not In market for a cdt as I currently own both the audiolab cdt6000 and a Marantz hd cd-1 used as transport. However, I have no doubt the pro-ject is all you say it is, as they make some wonderful affordable stuff. Case in point would be the tube box ds2, and the classic sb and evo turntable. Unreal value for the money, and positively reviewed everywhere.
I've been looking to upgrade from my Oppo 105D for a long time.  I've considered transports, but there are only a few that will spin SACD's, like the new PS Audio PW SACD transport ($6500) and I believe that McIntosh has a SACD transport as well.  However, I think that I've found the answer for my needs-- but it doesn't come out until the end of this year: Esoteric K-05XD or the K-07XD SACD players.  The reviews on the K-01XD and the K-03XD are that they are leaps above previous Esoteric iterations, and are fantastic.  But they are pricey.  In a K-05XD or a K-07XD not only do you get a transport mechanism which might be considered the best on the planet-- but you also get a phenomenal DAC, and a SACD player.  With digital inputs including a USB to access the DAC.  For me it makes sense because I don't have a separate DAC.  So I get 2-in-1, a transport and a DAC-- at ~$7500, considering I don't have to have 2 boxes and the price is reasonable for both.  Just something to consider.  I am in no way connected to Esoteric-- just my own thoughts on my journey to my next CD transport/player.  BTW I did look at the Pro-Ject, but haven't auditioned.
@amorstereo,
Thanks for the heads up. I will be looking forward to your full review. I personally dig top loading players so kudos to Project for bringing out RS2 T at a reasonable price. When Gryphon’s Ethos (also uses Pro-8 transport) was announced, I got very excited but its price almost makes it impossible to obtain such a beauty.

I have yet to find a bargain like Raysonic CD128, mine is now 15 years old :-)
SACD play is not a concern. Ripped is close enough to a high tariff player SQ. Not to mention more convenient