The iPod and the Audiophile

Here is a good article I ran into today on extremetech about digital media and the Audiophile. I thought I would share.

http://www.extremetech.com/print_article2/0,1217,a=171815,00.asp
128x128mark02131
I have an iRiver and have found that i cannot really stand to seriously listen to music and so it gets used mostly for podcasts. I do find it convenient to listen to newly acquired music passively during workouts for familiarity. I guess I've got to think about better headphones like Matt8268 suggests - I did buy some better Sennheiser PXC-150 headphones, but there is likely a lot better to get.
if you hookup ipod to stereo, is volume adjusted on ipod, or on the stereo or both, like on a computer and computer speakers?
Samuellaudio,

If you have a dock and use the line out, volume is adjusted only on the stereo. If you use the headphone jack, volume is adjusted on both.
I think the reason why Apple doesn't have digital outs is not what has mentioned above but has something to do with Digital Copy Rights, iTunes downloads and the IPod itself.
To me, the iPod is just the new Walkman (I know i'm dateing myself here). Sure, it is MUCH more powerful and flexible than the original Walkman but it is a portable music device. The revolution, to me, is "iTunes". As many of you know from my system and other threads I have commented on, it is having all your music at your fingertips and the scroll of a mouse. THAT is the revolution.

I cannot see a point where I will not have some kind of digital music server as one of the main sources of my system.