The iPod and the Audiophile

Here is a good article I ran into today on extremetech about digital media and the Audiophile. I thought I would share.

http://www.extremetech.com/print_article2/0,1217,a=171815,00.asp
128x128mark02131
Using my iPod 5G with 256 AAC VBR (converted from lossless ripped via EAC), my Etymotic ER4Ps (with custom molded inserts) and my Headphile modified HF-1s sound amazing. It is not as good as through my more expensive headphone amp setup, but I would DEFINITELY call it audiophile quality.

I have also heard that a Red Wine modified iPod proves an excellent source for 2 channel systems.
I have an iRiver and have found that i cannot really stand to seriously listen to music and so it gets used mostly for podcasts. I do find it convenient to listen to newly acquired music passively during workouts for familiarity. I guess I've got to think about better headphones like Matt8268 suggests - I did buy some better Sennheiser PXC-150 headphones, but there is likely a lot better to get.
if you hookup ipod to stereo, is volume adjusted on ipod, or on the stereo or both, like on a computer and computer speakers?
Samuellaudio,

If you have a dock and use the line out, volume is adjusted only on the stereo. If you use the headphone jack, volume is adjusted on both.
I think the reason why Apple doesn't have digital outs is not what has mentioned above but has something to do with Digital Copy Rights, iTunes downloads and the IPod itself.