New ebay payments require SS#?

I received an email from ebay and they now will deposit your amount from a sale directly into your bank account.  So, they require your routing and account numbers.  But they also required my SS number, which I'm not sure I like.  They say the purpose is to comply with government regulations.  Is there any reason to think they would transmit the amount of your sales to the irs and issue you a 1099?  I only occasionally sell used items on ebay and don't consider any amount I receive to be taxable income.  Thoughts? 
mtrot
I don’t think it is a phishing scam.  eBay plans to have the IRS  send out 1099 forms to people who have sold there and it will be treated as untaxed income.  This was part of the “wonderful” tax revisions that was passed in 2018, I bet many people didn’t read the entire bill (I did).   You remember, the trickle down effect was supposed to help the middle class?  Well, it didn’t. This new “income” will need to be reported next year on your 2021 taxes
Post removed 
@stereo5 Well, ebay sending out a 1099 and reporting it to the IRS is what I was concerned about. For people who only occasionally sell a used item that they may have owned for a decade or more, I don’t see how that should be taxable income. Now, if you run a business on ebay and support yourself that way, I can see how it might be taxable income. 
The IRS would not be sending out 1099 forms. Rather, it would be ebay that would send the 1099.
How do you know that ebay plans to do this, and do you have a link?
Post removed 
@ chicagoblue1977

You're not a cop. Otherwise you'd know what defunding actually means, and also that most cops would really appreciate not having to deal with mental illness issues, the homeless and repeat drug addict calls for just three examples. And Gezzz, your pension is a social program, or do you not even understand how your own pension works?