New ebay payments require SS#?

I received an email from ebay and they now will deposit your amount from a sale directly into your bank account.  So, they require your routing and account numbers.  But they also required my SS number, which I'm not sure I like.  They say the purpose is to comply with government regulations.  Is there any reason to think they would transmit the amount of your sales to the irs and issue you a 1099?  I only occasionally sell used items on ebay and don't consider any amount I receive to be taxable income.  Thoughts? 
mtrot
Democrats have got pay for all those social programs. 
Defunding the police was not enough. 
BTW I am Police. 
@ chicagoblue1977,

You sound like what is wrong with the police.  The police haven’t been defunded, stop lying about it. We Democrats want police reform, particularly in the way people of color and minorities are treated, not defunding.  You speak yet another Republican lie. 
Guys, it would nice to get one reply that is actually responsive to my post. Please don’t post if you are not on topic. Thanks.

And, it's not a scam or phishing.  The new payment methodology is right there on the ebay web site.
I don’t think it is a phishing scam.  eBay plans to have the IRS  send out 1099 forms to people who have sold there and it will be treated as untaxed income.  This was part of the “wonderful” tax revisions that was passed in 2018, I bet many people didn’t read the entire bill (I did).   You remember, the trickle down effect was supposed to help the middle class?  Well, it didn’t. This new “income” will need to be reported next year on your 2021 taxes
Post removed