Anyone's tried repairing/upgrading original Vandersteen 1 speakers?

I have a chance at an original Vandersteen 1 with what's claimed to be a bad woofer. Well, maybe it's the woofer, maybe it's the feed to it through the crossover. Won't know unless I buy it (it's pretty cheap) and open it up. Curious to hear from anyone who's worked on this unit, especially done anything to bring it more up to date. Wondering if this one is worth the effort. Thanks.
rnathans00
@OP,
Either contact Vandersteen directly or John Rutan(audioconnection).
You can also post at the Vandersteen forum-on the Vandy website. We'd love to hear from you.
Vandersteen offers great customer service. You'll probably need to buy 2 drivers, as they are matched. There are videos on Youtube that show how to replace the drivers. Models 1-3 were designed to be easily repaired. Just peel back the fabric and do what is needed.
Crossovers usually aren't the problem, but, who knows?
Unless you are getting them for $100 bucks or less, I would look elsewhere. You can find plenty of working model 1's at reasonable prices.
PM me if you need additional info.
Bob
Millercarbon, may I ask what version of the 1's you owned. They changed a bit over the years.
I'm running Vandy 1ci's with Belles Aria monoblocks and preamp and they sound ridiculously good. The fact that I paid $400 for them makes them all the more sweet. The 1's when setup correctly will reward you when paired with good sources and upstream equipment.