The Placebo Effect

One of the things that should be taken into account in the evaluation of audio equipment, tweaks, etc is the Placebo Effect.

In the medical world, Placebos (open label or concealed) appear to mostly work on subjective symptoms, such as pain. They don’t work on an objective symptom — something a doctor could see or diagnose, such as a fracture on a bone. Placebos don’t shrink tumors, they don’t change your diabetes, and they’re not going to actually lower your blood pressure for more than 15 minutes, Basically, placebos appear to work on things that pass through the brain’s perceptual systems — where they can prompt the release of opioids and other endorphins (chemicals that reduce pain) in the brain. Bottom line, placebos can result in perceived improvement even where no actual improvement exists.

The same applies to our hobby. Probably too often, we sense improvement in SQ because of the Placebo Effect. Our money spent, hardware bias's, effective marketing, or being influenced by the experience of others (regardless if true), often have us believe that we have obtained improvements that don't really exist. This is not necessarily a bad thing because a perceived improvement, whether real or imagined is still an improvement to the listener. This may explain part of why certain "improvements" can't be measured. 

J.Chip
128x128jchiappinelli
Urbie needs a timeout! Totally inappropriate!!

Placebo or not, hearing is subjective and it of course is all just in our head.  

My rule is that if I have to squint real hard to hear a difference something makes, it is not worth the money TOO ME. 
My rule is that if I have to squint real hard to hear a difference something makes, it is not worth the money TOO ME.

agree wholeheartedly!!!

Placebo has been proved to exist in many fields.

So why do the tweakers and imaginers here rant so hard that it doesn't exist in audio.

Urbie, rude and offensive though he is, has called it against himself, although from his post I'm not sure he knows what placebo is.

I think his post should be taken down, we don't want to call each other d*****s here.
as a retired physician, I spent many years experiencing patients with subjective complaints that achieved relief with placebo.  The phenomena is real, regardless how one wishes to explain it.  AND if it gave the patient relief and, at the same time "did no harm", that is a positive result....in audio, if it pleases the listener, that is a positive result...one must decide if the money spent is "doing harm" , or not.....
This is a really interesting thread.  As a Practicing Physician, I can definitely state that the Placebo effect is real.  As an audiophile, I can say that in my case, I have experienced it.  I have definitely had expectation bias, wanting to hear something that is a revelation, and then over time realizing that while the change made made things sound different, but not necessarily better.  Perhaps the term Placebo Effect isn’t totally correct, because there has been an audible change to my ears, but the expectation bias confounds how I react to that change