Can Magnepan survive Wendell Diller?

I bought my first set of Magnepans in 1976, and I currently have a pair of 1.7i's.

It is difficult for me to upgrade to the 3.7i's because their are so many things that the company can do to improve their product that they simply won't offer; upgraded crossover components, a solid wood/rigid frames and better stands are examples.

Other companies are now doing this, but Magnepan always says Wendell doesn't think that is a good idea.

Can a man who suggests using lamp cord for his speaker line really have that much control over an otherwise unique technological approach to speaker design? I must be missing something obvious when a product is hand assembled in MN and any of these upgrades would, in my mind, warrant factory upgrades. Who wouldn't spend an extra $1k for a 1.7i with a hardwood frame and an upgraded x-over? Adding a ribbon tweeter to the 1.7i would warrant an additional $1k, still bringing them in $2k under the 3.7i.

Is it common for one person to hold an entire company back in high end audio? 
128x128william53b
@krelldreams

I don’t mind your comments, some valid points.
Actually I helped a little, I bought three pairs of speakers from them. Others heard mine and bought more. No one has heard these and bought some though, mostly the MGII.

I only became upset when Benchmark told me it may be my cables and I bought some from them. Night and Day. And they didn’t think I was imposing on them by contacting them, they were very helpful. They put Customer in customer service.

So I bought one of their DAC’s as well. There is exceptional attention to detail in these two boxes.

Wendell is the public face of Magnepan. He is their marketing philosophy. The make great speakers that have room for improvement at extremely competitive prices. Many hifi components benefit from upgrades such as capacitors and wiring. 
One poster commented that the 30.7’s are a failure. A few years ago I met Wendell and his comment to paraphrase, was they are basically an engineering exercise as the ultimate extension of the Magnepan design. They are massive and few have rooms big enough to house them. The large room at the dealer where they were demoed could barely contain them. 
Post removed 
@william53b… I get what you’re saying. I’ve had some great experiences with some audio manufacturers, and there have been some where I came away feeling annoyed. I’ve had to call Magnepan a handful of times over the years, and I’ve always been treated very well. I felt each time as if they valued me as a customer. But everyone has their own individual experiences. Honestly, I haven’t spoken to Wendell for many years, but when I had, I found him direct, somewhat short, but never demeaning in any way. Just sort of confident in his product, and in his experience, and not one to sugar coat. This can be a bit off-putting in the wrong situation, I’ll give you that. Quick story… I bought a pair of 1.7s in 2011. In 2016, I noticed a ripple in the quasi-ribbon driver. It sounded fine, but I wanted to have it corrected. The speakers were out of warranty, so I was prepared to pay for the repair. Magnepan evaluated the issue, determined it was a defect, and shipped me a pair of the new at the time 1.7i’s off the assembly line. They asked if I’d agree to pay for the labor and return shipping. I said sure… so they gave me a labor bill for $45.00. Forty Five Dollars!! (Plus shipping) I was super happy, and I felt very appreciated as a customer. This is why I defend their customer service practices.