transistor pre with the sound of tubes

Not sure i am mature enough for a tube preamp, so my quest would be for a transistor pre with a hint of tube sound.
What would be your suggestions? 
Btw, needs to be balanced as my active speakers only accept balanced.

rird
Get a Tavish classic or vintage tubed preamp, great products from a great USA company. Another very good tubed preamp would be the pro-ject tube box ds2.
How about VTL TL5.5 Series II Signature?
What tubes would i use for most neutral sound?
OP,

I couldn't resist, the wife is away, she's 5 feet tall, has size 5 feet, and a 6' redhead drifted by in my waking dream. What's that song, 'The Impossible Dream'?

I'm 72, got into high quality sound age 25. Many friends over the years, a few now who are experienced listeners. We all come down to Tubes. Read, ask, talk, listen, why? I simply sum it up in my mind: Analog 'gets' everything about the fundamentals and their overtones 'better'! So I believe what you want is unachievable.

From what you say, preferences and concerns, I suggest you change your long range thinking to two systems, one SS, other Tubes.

I also think you are exaggerating the 'trouble' with tubes (they do add a level of effort). You can have noise free tubes. My Tube Preamp & Tube Amp combo is noise free, not a little tolerable noise, noise-free, thru extremely efficient horn tweeters that reveal any 'idle' problem more readily than others.  New: 60 hours break-in is all you need (no signal needed, just leave them on, done in 3 days). 20 minute warm up is all I need, easy enough to turn on, go do something else. Many/most tubes we use last 10,000 hours (exceptions of course, just avoid them). IF 'better', that's easy work, actually enjoyable, you personably make a difference!

I had two systems for many years, 30 wpc tubes; 300 wpc solid state. two sets of speaker cables to WBT tighten-able banana jacks that I could easily reach at the speakers. I have a preamp with two sets of outputs which made it easy. (there are other ways to get the preamp to the selected amp).

I, and many others recommend finding efficient speakers you love: that is the key to keeping power needs low, which opens the door to many more tube amp choices: less cost, less heat, and importantly: less weight, smaller size: both increase placement options now and future changes, and ease of movement to mess with rear inputs.

Thanks for many responses. Many units are expensive. I don't have that budget. I would look for a used pre. I think it is between Gamut D3i, Classe CP-700 and VTL TL 5.5 Signature II. The latter is the most expensive.
If the budget is tight, wonder if the Belles Aria pre would suite you.  I understand it has an expansive sound stage like tube--but harmonically may be more neutral than "tubey"