Why Does All Jazz Sound The Same?

Squeaky squeak squeak, honk honk honk, ratta tap tap, bing bang bong, tinkle tinkle, rumble bum bum.  

God I love it!
128x128snackeyp
@superblackbirddave1,
Your wife is not alone with those sentiments. Jazz and classical music will never be mainstream for the general population and I accept that. Pop,Rock, Hip hop,Rap is what millions gravitate toward and where mega amount of money is generated.

I actually feel lucky/fortunate to be one of the  "relative minority" of people who simply love and deeply appreciate the outstanding music that the jazz genre offers. Given its small niche in the music universe it’s amazing the vast amount of recordings (And quality) available.
Charles
+1 @charlesdad

i was so fortunate that in college my first roommate was a burgeoning jazz saxophonist there on scholarship... over the course of the schoolyear taught me how to listen to and appreciate jazz... started with chuck mangione, herbie mann, earl klugh, jazz crusaders in the fall, and by springtime, i had learned to ’get’ bird, coltrane, monk, mingus, roland kirk et al

talk about life changing... have been in love with the artistry, energy, creativity of jazz ever since - the gift that never stops giving 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏
@jjss49,
the gift that never stops giving 🙏🙏🙏🙏

So on the mark. Thanks for sharing your experience,  lucky you to have such a roommate. 

A very good friend of mine is  a drummer and his brother is  a pianist.  Both are accomplished jazz musicians on our local scene. It was incredibly helpful in my development when I'd listen to them practice and attend their weekend shows. Talk about training one's ear with all of that frequent up close exposure to live instruments. 
Charles 
I agree, Jazz is really growing on me. It's perfect as background music because it's rarely annoying and I'm finding more and more that I like. I'm very "young" in Jazz so I don't know all the great go-to's but for now I'm liking the normals I guess: Bob James, Dave Grusin, and a few others I can't pronounce.  
Once upon a time, I thought all bourbon tasted the same. Once upon a time, I  thought all rock guitar riffs sounded the same.  Once upon a time, I thought country music sounded the same. 

It seems the more I listen to different types of music, the easier it is to appreciate all types of music.