Russco, QRK, Sparco, Garrard, Thoren, Fairchild, Roberts

Ok I have several of the old rim drive broadcast TT. Russcos, QRKs, Sparcos, and
a few more. Also different Transcriptions, Thoren TD 121, 124s, 224s, and Garrard 401s.
Had a Fairchild (stolen). What's your favorites, or ones not mentioned.

Plinths, what are you using, what have you made, what have you bought??

I'm into the actual repair and mods of the machine more than the use, I love um', but
they are used.

Have any tips, tricks, suggestions?

Regards
Ag insider logo xs@2xoldhvymec
atmasphere, I have a trick or two for rim drives.. Has a lot to do with dampening the platter and the way the roller engages the platter, it needs to follow the platter not push it. If that makes sense. Second is isolation of the drive with a thrust made of teflons and controlling it with shims and wave washers to preload it.

I can get them as quiet a Garrard and 5 times as powerful.. Mine are completely up to speed in 1/2 a revolution... You can truly Que with no motor heat up.. 24/7/364 (one day for maintenance a year) :-) 2 hours every month for 12 months.. 1 24 hour day per year..

I have 5 or 6 Russcos and a couple QRKs right now, Harris or two..

Always a 6 - 12 Thorens here too..

401 Garrard, if someone needs one... 50hz 220, I’m sure I have a 60 hz pully.. BUT the 50hz 220 is all the rage with the new PS/converter. 1K or so for the new PS..

I like them with a separate armboard too. Can always add a blank and plinth mount your tonearm.. I still have a 16" tonearm here somewhere.

Regards
oldhvymec, do you have any pictures and details of your Russco builds? I'm already planning to get rid of the ball on ball spindle thrust bearing with a ball on Delrin thrust pad. I have a new bottom bearing brass setscrew that I will machine for the Delrin insert pad.
I'm going to have Terry's Rubber Rollers rebuild my idler wheel a soon as I get the new oil lite bushings delivered for it. I also found a nice replacement on ebay that looks like a Audio Silente style with the o-ring type drive rim.
I also have new isolation mounts coming directly from LORD manufacturing so that I know they are fresh and not 20 year old NOS junk.While the chassis is out being powder coated hammertone grey I will go through the motor as well.
So any hints and tips to quiet this down will be appreciated. Pictures help a lot as well. Do you post on any other forums?
BillWojo
I’ve never seen one powder coated. We always used rattle cans. So you know that was actually factory..

Sparta, QRK, and Russco all the parts are swap, but the Russco had a better pocket bearing for the platter. It had an endplay and height adjustment.

The Fractional motor had end play adjustment and I added a remote oiler on a couple I did. Just depends on how hard it was to access

There were two kinds of platters too. One had a fixed ball the other had a flat surface and the ball was in the pocket, I prefer the latter BUT I’ve also used combos, double balls, bla bla bla.. :-)

I use Rislone for lube (Engine additive)

http://www.hifitown.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30096

This is the motor and spindle bearing I use. You can take the motor apart and drop balance or if you know someone spin balance the armature.

The drive pully, you want the one with swappable O-Rings (same manufacture as the ones for Thoren and Lynn)

The chassis isolators I use the red ones and add a silicone bead to one side to stiffen them.. 8.00 each vs 25-35.00 each..

I usually just keep shop notes in Mead, college rule or geometric note books. They are 6-8 200 page note books full of my projects. They are also mixed with all my OTHER projects too over the last 40 years.. tool inventories, and a Hand Written Will with DNR unless statement. :-)

I'll look up some notes..
I paid about 13 bucks each for the isolation mounts. The two closest to the front are rated 2lb per 1/16" deflection and the one in the rear is rated 1/2 lb per 1/16" deflection from the Russco factory so that is what I bought from LORDS.
Today I stopped by McMaster Carr and picked up new spindle bushings and a new bushing for the stock idler. Will replace the bushing before I send it out to get rebuilt. They also had the brass setscrew and a bar of Delrin waiting for me. Need to get over my buddys machine shop soon.
Today I stripped the plinth, still need to get the lamps out. I hate those one way metal clips that hold them in. Hopefully I can find time to visit the powder coater soon.Any tips that you have are greatly appreciated, I intend to make this a killer table.
Thanks
BillWojo
Just looked at that link. I have the same motor on my table. I fired it up for a few seconds and it ran pretty smooth but I'm going to take it apart to clean and lube it. It feels slightly stiff.
BillWojo