Russco, QRK, Sparco, Garrard, Thoren, Fairchild, Roberts

Ok I have several of the old rim drive broadcast TT. Russcos, QRKs, Sparcos, and
a few more. Also different Transcriptions, Thoren TD 121, 124s, 224s, and Garrard 401s.
Had a Fairchild (stolen). What's your favorites, or ones not mentioned.

Plinths, what are you using, what have you made, what have you bought??

I'm into the actual repair and mods of the machine more than the use, I love um', but
they are used.

Have any tips, tricks, suggestions?

Regards
Ag insider logo xs@2xoldhvymec
I’ve never seen one powder coated. We always used rattle cans. So you know that was actually factory..

Sparta, QRK, and Russco all the parts are swap, but the Russco had a better pocket bearing for the platter. It had an endplay and height adjustment.

The Fractional motor had end play adjustment and I added a remote oiler on a couple I did. Just depends on how hard it was to access

There were two kinds of platters too. One had a fixed ball the other had a flat surface and the ball was in the pocket, I prefer the latter BUT I’ve also used combos, double balls, bla bla bla.. :-)

I use Rislone for lube (Engine additive)

http://www.hifitown.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30096

This is the motor and spindle bearing I use. You can take the motor apart and drop balance or if you know someone spin balance the armature.

The drive pully, you want the one with swappable O-Rings (same manufacture as the ones for Thoren and Lynn)

The chassis isolators I use the red ones and add a silicone bead to one side to stiffen them.. 8.00 each vs 25-35.00 each..

I usually just keep shop notes in Mead, college rule or geometric note books. They are 6-8 200 page note books full of my projects. They are also mixed with all my OTHER projects too over the last 40 years.. tool inventories, and a Hand Written Will with DNR unless statement. :-)

I'll look up some notes..
I paid about 13 bucks each for the isolation mounts. The two closest to the front are rated 2lb per 1/16" deflection and the one in the rear is rated 1/2 lb per 1/16" deflection from the Russco factory so that is what I bought from LORDS.
Today I stopped by McMaster Carr and picked up new spindle bushings and a new bushing for the stock idler. Will replace the bushing before I send it out to get rebuilt. They also had the brass setscrew and a bar of Delrin waiting for me. Need to get over my buddys machine shop soon.
Today I stripped the plinth, still need to get the lamps out. I hate those one way metal clips that hold them in. Hopefully I can find time to visit the powder coater soon.Any tips that you have are greatly appreciated, I intend to make this a killer table.
Thanks
BillWojo
Just looked at that link. I have the same motor on my table. I fired it up for a few seconds and it ran pretty smooth but I'm going to take it apart to clean and lube it. It feels slightly stiff.
BillWojo
Yea that is a clean clean clean deal. Very Very fine steel wool is your friend, too. The motor ball you can replace it with a ceramic if you want, I stick with conductive parts in motors UNLESS it suppose to be insulated or sealed (as per application, non spark).

Newer fractal motors and some of the broadcast had fixed updated neo magnets.. Hard to tell if they are smooth when they are assembled, magnet drag... Smaller too.. 1/10 HP (Vroom Vroom).  I think they are Japanese made and very well made they are... 100 year motors with maintenance and another 100 with more maintenance. :-)

I just went out and did some sanding on the top of a Russco Plinth, I started it over 10 months ago. Just starting to feel good enough to work, but so out of shape.. 15 minutes is a LONG time.. Mercy.. Gettin' there though, just a little color sanding.. Ready for color and a hard clear coat.

Again so you know Hammer coat in a rattle can is VERY VERY good.
They actually use it on BIG drifters (rock hammers) as a finish protective paint.. It use to blow my mind how well it stood up and touched without being able to tell they touched up the original paint.. 

Different Note:

I just picked up a Puffin phono preamp. I'm thinking it will be the PERFECT combo... Has onboard POP eliminator and tons of programmable options, ADC digital connection option and RCA.
TONE control... I love that option spinning vinyl and recording it..

I have a new Jelco 10.5" TA. I think it will be a good fit.. on the Russcos or QRKs

It may be the perfect piece (Puffin) for me and RtR recording from a GREAT piece of vinyl, (I have a few) or any source, maybe even a digital original.

The problem with RtR today is source tape. 90% I wouldn't even listen to.. In spite of my age, I've never been an HUGE Opera fan, THOUGH I did attend a few I really enjoyed.

Too much of a Tower of Power, James Brown, Gram Central Station, War, Carlos, kind of a guy.. :-) Throw in all the Outlaws in country western, Metallica and a big ol blob US blues... BB King comes to mind, or Muddy Waters. US Jazz ok... Miles Davis, Tony Williams (Sr) Stanley Clark, Herbie H or Chick C (Rip) and Jeff Beck.. I'm good...

Todays music.. LOL I like a lot of it.. NOW I want it on Reel to Reel. PERIOD. No I don't care how I get it there as long as I can get it to sound GREAT... Good for now will work.  :-)

600.00 dupe master tapes, I don't like, really won't work for me.. 

Legally it's an archive as long as I don't sell it and I can give it away with the original source I paid for and choose to resale..

I use to love my RtR I'm close now.. 6-8 weeks Decware might send me a Tape/phono preamp.. 5 months 3 weeks now.. 4 weeks with Soundsmith and no delivery for "IN STOCK", carts.. ?????

EVERYONE is still in recovery mode.. Me 16 heart attacks later an in general, pissed off. LOL. Fixed that part, at least, thank God..  Now 15 lbs has got to go..

A$$ and Belly fat nanites.. :-)

Regards
https://www.ebay.com/itm/202808747120?var=502967448568

Guys/Gals this an address for a cable that can't be PMed for some reason..

I use this in a 1 meter, great Power Cable for 49.00.. 1-3 weeks delivery time.. Great construct for speaker IC too. BIG time bang for the buck..

Regards