Which Analog to Digital converter

I'd like to buy an analog to digital converter for ripping old analog media I own. Recommendations? I'd like a very good one, but I don't want to spend more than 1.5k, hopefully under 1k. I've read Focusrite makes some good ones but looking at the inputs (intended for professional use) I'm not sure how to use these.
e91811
The Focusrite stuff is the low end bargain product.  They are good if you want to spend less than $250, but do not match the upper end.

Many people have had excellent results using the RME ADI-2 Pro FS.  This is normally $2k, but there's a used one on ebay right now for $1299.  I would jump on that if you are really serious.  It also provides ability to record into DSD files (which is the preferred method for recording analog/vinyl if you don't have to do mixing/processing).

A good linear power supply may improve the sound quality captured even more.  The ADI can accept a DC power anywhere from 9V to 15V (I would probably use 12V).  There is a used Keces P3 on usaudiomart for $320 that would do this job.  You can try a Teradak on ebay for less than $200 as well (this will still likely be better than the stock switching power supply).  A Teddy Pardo will be at least $400 (but they are very excellent as well).
The VinylStudio Pro software for only $49 USD will support recording of DSD from the RME ADI-2 Pro interface:

https://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/

hope this helps.
Oh, one more thing. These "pro" interfaces use combo XLR/TRS inputs. It will accept a standard XLR cable. If you use RCA cables, you can get a nice RCA-to-TRS unbalanced cable such as this:

https://www.proaudiola.com/product-p/1-m2549-rca-ts-1.htm

All these pro interfaces accept either balanced or unbalanced cables without any problem.
The best PCM is the Puffin <$600. LPs rarely have any detectable content above 24-96.

fuzztone
1,975 posts
04-20-2021 9:40am
The best PCM is the Puffin <$600. LPs rarely have any detectable content above 24-96.

Are you mistakenly comparing sample rates to frequency range? 

Vinyl records have been proven to have information well above 20khz unlike CD's