Can Any Bookshelf Speaker Be Used Nearfield?

Back with another question, to improve my system and my education!

I've asked for and seen recommendations for speakers to be used nearfield.  (For me that nearfield is on a large desk, with 42" between left and right woofers and 40" from woofers to my ears).  

Now I'd like to learn about what makes a great, or poor, nearfield speaker?  I have a large desk and have room for large monitors.  Can all bookshelf-sized speakers be used nearfield?  Why or why not?  There are a ton of terrific monitor-sized speakers listed here for sale, but understanding why some would work or not work will really help me narrow down the choices.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Ag insider logo xs@2xazkeith
I think Goodmans Maxim will work at that distance.
A really tiny two-way speaker from the revered British maker in the 1960s. Just 10.5 x 5.5 x 7.2 inches so leaves plenty of space for other stuff on your desk.

Great SQ but bass is reinforced by backing up against a wall rather than on a desk-top.
I've not looked at the references above, but the short answer is "no" if there are multiple drivers that need some distance to integrate. Concentric drivers are helpful if you'll be really near. Some desktop speakers disperse the directionality from the get-go to avoid the integration puzzle which can arise via various set ups.

If I was setting up a desktop system, I'd get small Harbeths.

yes, but your results may vary.  
if you want the best sound you will need coherence between drivers at close range and an ability to adjust / variably plug the bass ports to tailor the bass response.
The KEF LS50s work well because the drivers are near point source and about as coherent as possible (perfectly blended woofer and tweeter at short distances)  and they have a 3-way adjustable bass port to reduce the bass if the enclosure is too close to reflective surfaces.