All the Emmlabs dcc2/cdsd hoopla..

Is this real? I mean they cost big bucks but is the sound that great? what does the combo do to the Redbook CD sound?
How does it compare to equal cost analouge front end?
No intention to badmounth Emmlabs, but is the combo that good??
nilthepill
Thought I'd give a little different perspective. The EMM labs stuff IS very very good, no doubt. I owned it and enjoyed it. But I do not agree with Oneobgyn (who is a friend) that nothing comes close. Digital is always making advancements and I actually think that other players not only come close, but some exceed the EMM. Now remember, this is all about opinion and personal preference - not to mention system variables and component matching.

This said, because I am not a believer in the future of SACD and I KNOW that not all SACDS sound great, plus the fact that I have 30 times MORE redbook CDs than SACDs, I was willing to lose the SACD capability to go to a better redbook player. I, along with 5 of my audio friends (which included the guy who bought my EMM gear), sat in my room and compared the EMM (with both the DAC 6 and the DCC2) and the Reimyo CDP 777 side by side and all of them preferred the Reimyo.

Why? All said the Reimyo had as much or more resolution but sounded a bit less digital, richer and not as white or analytical. Now the difference was not night and day but enough to notice by anyone who is experienced in this hobby and appreciates those subtle differences.

I also have friends who are saying that some of the new players like the ARC CD-7, the new Ayre player and the real expensive Zanden combo (and others)are awfully good as well and give the EMM stiff competition.

Since you asked about redbook, I can assure you MY decision was based on the noticably better redbook performance. But, as always, YMMV.

Good luck.
Frank,
How does the modded APL/EMM/DENON transport compare to the CDSD in sound quality?
Cheers,
Neville
Alex lives very close to me and has offered to play his modded NWO-1 in my system. We just haven't been able to connect yet.

I still maintain that for my ears and in my system I haven't heard anything come close to the Meitner gear. Just my opinion of course

Fmpnd--we are friends? Not sure that I know who you are
Nevillekapadia, I can't speak for Frank, but I had an opportunity to listen to the latest Meitner combo compared to the latest version of the APL Denon, and IMO, the APL sounded better (on both redbook and SACD). The decay of the instruments sounded much more realistic, the sense of the acoustics of the venue was better on the APL, dynamics, bass, etc. On some recordings, it improvement was very obvious on others it was closer. They both sounded amazing and I would take either machine any day of the week, but IMO, the APL simply sounded better. As a result of that listening session, I had Alex add the latest upgrades to my APL Denon.
Oneobgyn, you seemed to speak very clear when you said,

"I have owned EVERY high end digital available in the market today and IMO there is simply none that even come close to the Meitner. It is THAT good...so good in fact that I see no reason to get back into vinyl"

If you were stressing your point because of your obviously strong emotions for the EMMLasbs by using a hyperbola, I think it got lost in the translation and instead came across (to me) as though you were stating a fact.

I don't think living close to Alex Paychev (APL HiFi) and his generous offering to let you hear the new (and fantastic) APL modded NWO-1 in your own system qualifies as proof-of-ownership.

That being the case, it would probably make sense that you start your comparisons with the APL modified Denon 3910 rather than the NWO-1. You just might be surprised.

-IMO