Connecting a streamer via an Ethernet cable

Is there a noticeable difference connecting a streamer directly to an External cable as opposed to WiFi? The reason I ask, is that doing so with my situation would require a fair amount of effort. But if it’s worth it, I’m willing to do it. Thanks.
z32kerber
The reason I ask, is that doing so with my situation would require a fair amount of effort.

IIUC, This effort can be drastically reduced with a wifi extender. Cost is $30-60 and plug it in to the AC outlet. Of course make sure it has a Ethernet inlet. most have one. Some 2
“What makes you think wired connections are immune to RFI/EMI?”

@cleeds,

A conductive shield in a Ethernet cable reflects or conduct external interference away without affecting the signals of the internal conductor. Hence the shielded Ethernet cables protects signals from EMI/RFI over the length of the cable run resulting in faster transmission speeds and fewer data errors.

You may also know, fiber-optic cable network is impervious to EMI/ RFI and switch noise but it often requires conversion at some point cause majority of consumer grade streamers / routers do not have fiber optic jacks.
A couple of thoughts:
  • a mesh system may improve on a wi-fi extender (more expensive though) - I use a short Ethernet cable from a mesh satellite to stream to my second system and have had no operational problems whatsoever, but I have not critically listened to the wired vs. wi-fi SQ comparison
  • if worried about RFI/EMI, you could convert to fiber at your router, run fiber to your system, and then reconvert back to a short Ethernet cable - I have both but in direct comparison find the difference subtle if not indistinguishable 

All the IT guys I work with agree that wired is a more reliable method to deliver data packets consistently
I agree with the recommendation of a mesh wifi system; also, if the wifi receiver of the streamer permits (e.g., ROON does, the OPPO 205 does), set it for a minimal delay, say 10 ms. Thats enough buffer to 'resort' packages.
In my experience, mesh system/ROON via wifi (ROON core on a MacBook) are absolutely equivalent to ethernet hardwired.
If you are in a "messy" environment (e.g., apartment building), wifi reliability may be difficult to obtain, though.