Best used TT for under $1k?

Hi All! A friend of mine is in the market for a turntable and I offered to help. Do any of you have an opinion on good value options in the used market for under $1k?
Thanks!
thebrokenrecord
@robertbrook - Are you looking for an "all-in" price of $1000? Does that need to include a cartridge? Phono stage? Accessories?
If you can find a used Technics SL 1200 MK2 in decent shape, they typically go for around $500 and are an excellent table.  Search for things to look out for when buying and don't buy a pair of them.  
Rob, there are huge difference between many turntables and new Technics mk7, especially at your price range. Detachable headshell and VTA on the fly are great features to have, high torque motor with immediate start/stop will serve you for next 30 years without service. With mk7 you don't have to change or upgrade anything, the build quality is outstanding (I hope you can find one in the shop), this is solid Made in Japan, heavy turntable on adjustable feet. What is great is resale value. If you can buy this turntable for $900 new with warranty then I doubt there are better option under $1k.