Low gain dac!

I am contemplating buying a new dac, the dac I have today has 4.3v output on both balanced and RCA, which makes me only use a small turn on the volume knob on my pre amp, which is a high gain design, volume starts at 6 o’clock and too loud at 8-9!
Any input is appreciated, ladde dac’s or more conventional dac’s doesn’t matter, both designs have my interest.
My system:
Primare Dac30
Supratek Cabernet pre
Belles SA 30 power amp
Graham Audio LS 5/9

Thanks!
gryphongryph
I agree with GeorgeHiFi. I had a similar problem resulting in tube noise from the preamp. I tried Rothwell attenuators (after the pre), which did help with the noise but the sound lost life. I replaced my BHK preamp with a low gain pre (Benchmark) and life is better than ever. Try the Schiit passive.
A little bit off topic but are you an native islander, I’ve been curious about how it is to live on faroarna ? It’s kind of an isolated place between Scotland and Iceland in in the middle of the ocean..
Buncha baloney. Stariting with you know who. If you like what you got and just want to mitigate high gain there is only one course of action:
https://www.parts-express.com/Harrison-Labs-12-dB-RCA-Line-Level-Attenuator-Pair-266-244?gclid=Cj0KC...
If you are curious try them before or after the pre. If you hear any difference go with it.