Low gain dac!

I am contemplating buying a new dac, the dac I have today has 4.3v output on both balanced and RCA, which makes me only use a small turn on the volume knob on my pre amp, which is a high gain design, volume starts at 6 o’clock and too loud at 8-9!
Any input is appreciated, ladde dac’s or more conventional dac’s doesn’t matter, both designs have my interest.
My system:
Primare Dac30
Supratek Cabernet pre
Belles SA 30 power amp
Graham Audio LS 5/9

Thanks!
gryphongryph
@iseland 😂 happy to make you laugh.
I only noticed it a little later, but was not allowed to edit, English is not my first language so you can be sure there will be a few more 😜
Yes I figured that much.  Myself born and raised in Sweden (the northern west coast ). English not being my native tongue I can certainly relate 😉 .
I agree with GeorgeHiFi. I had a similar problem resulting in tube noise from the preamp. I tried Rothwell attenuators (after the pre), which did help with the noise but the sound lost life. I replaced my BHK preamp with a low gain pre (Benchmark) and life is better than ever. Try the Schiit passive.
A little bit off topic but are you an native islander, I’ve been curious about how it is to live on faroarna ? It’s kind of an isolated place between Scotland and Iceland in in the middle of the ocean..