How to "break-in" new speakers??

A number of posts regarding the so-called "break-in-time" (or is it "burn-in-time) for new speakers have muddied the waters for me. If I recall correctly, some posts recommend that new speaker "break-in" could run anywhere from several hours to 175 hours, or more (good grief!), depending on the speaker manufacturer and model/type in question. In my case they would be the Rega RS-1 bookshelves. On other posts I have read that burning-in is a red-herring and should be ignored. I have also read that a proper burn-in should be done at a high volume, but not so high as to damage the speakers (an unnecessary caution), while simultaneously running the speakers non-stop for the necessary burn-in period. I find myself especially resistant to the last half of these recommendations, if only because I would like to think it possible to get a good nights sleep while simultaneously doing right by my speakers. I can only hope that however many responses I receive will not further muddy the already dark waters.
georgester
I bought a pair of rs5 last september. Fantastic speaker. This is the best compromise I ever got in my house.
Best way to break them in is to play at low to moderate level all sources -movies & music for the first 50 hours and gradually increase the volume for short period of times let's say 20 minutes. They get better after 150-200 hours of play (bass gets a bit deeper and treble gets a bit smoother).
All of this becomes confusing when one considers that one of the golden rules of audio is to 'listen before you buy'. Well, if it can take almost 2 months of listening before you discover how speakers, and other components really sound, shouldn't the dealer break all this stuff in, before offering for sale. This also applies to all other components including wire. I ask your forgiveness and forbearance in advance for using LOGIC.
Rok2id
You are on to something for sure. When I talk to transducer designers, they thing this "break in" thing is lunacy, particularly with cone drivers. "If a driver changes after X hours it will continue to change-what is to stop it? The physics of it don't support changes that progress to a point and then stop when it sounds best".

Yet some of customers do report improvements, particularly in low end, after time.

Now ferro fluid tweeters, different story. They DO change and do need periodic replacement. We use Audax high power tweeters in our large in soffit mounted studio speakers, and they do need replacement after a year.

Brad
Break-in time is a myth.
For speakers mostly.
Why should a speaker need time to work properly? The suspension of the drivers (mostly rubber or plastic) does not change its stiffness in a few days or weeks time. And after that time what? It stops changing? Why? How?
That would be the designers nightmare.
Only a difference in temperature alters temporarily the characteristics of the suspension. Blow your woofers with a hair dryer for a few moments and until they reach again the normal temperature your speakers will play louder dew to the softer suspension!
Perhaps when many years pass, some materials may lose the proper elasticity and the speaker performs out of speks. Materials degrade as they get old, they dont perform better.
Our brain needs a few hours time to adjust to the new sounds, not the speaker. When this happens, we think the new speakers are now o.k.!!!
Maybe brak-in time had a meaning in tape recorders of any kind in the old days (mechanical construction, proper speed, wow, flutter, not just circuits). Elecrical circuits also get old with time. Every time we power them up, they stabilize in a few moments (or minutes if there are tubes in) and that is all.
Enjoy your music!
Actually, dealers "break-in" speakers and electronics before auditions.
Yes, speakers do continuously change. The largest changes (and the most noticeable) happen during the first hours of use. Like any other electronic or and mechanical device.