How much difference in Sound quality can be expected from different streamers?

I would appreciate very much in obtaining advice on the SQ from different Streamers. I am currently using a good quality vintage DAC (Altis Reference) connecting to Roku 4 (using its Tosslink out to a simple coaxial converter which connects to the coaxial “in” of the DAC). When comparing the SQ of the exact same artist/music through first  CD setup( CECTL0 connecting to the DAC) or second setup (Oppo 105 to DAC) vs ROKU 4 accessing Tidal Master level  at 48KHz, both CD systems provided better SQ with CECTLO the best. I was reading with interest on the forum (4/2/2021)  on DAC and found out that the SQ from different decent DAC does not appear to vary too much; the new DAC may offer connection convenience, but not necessarily SQ. More likely, different CD player or Transport can provide a more obvious difference in SQ than different DAC, like what I had experienced.  Thus I am very interested to seek advice from those who had experience in comparing different streamers. Can high end streamers when accessing Tidal Master level produce much better SQ than Roku 4 if connected to my DAC(at sampling rate of 48KHz)? If so, which ones would you recommend?

moses189
Both CD systems provided better SQ
I and many others have found with Redbook PCM a CD transport cannot be bettered or even equaled by a streamer.
We even did direct A/B’s using an R2R dac at audio meetings and got the same results.
Cheers George
Lots of threads on this already.

just like with CDTs, you will see the same variances with streamers - the new transport.  Same say yes, some say no, some say YMMV, etc.

i think streaming with Tidal works and produces very fine SQ. Plus, the access to millions of songs has provided hours upon hours of joy and exposure to countless artists I may never have heard.

start with a Bluesound node 2i and a good external DAC. You’ll be fine. Lots of people have co,pared to Lumin and others. 
In my rig with a Node 2i, chord qutest, belles Aria SIG amp and Dyn S40s, I just LOVE the sound so it works for me.
“Can high end streamers when accessing Tidal Master level produce much better SQ than Roku 4 if connected to my DAC(at sampling rate of 48KHz)”

As ianrmack pointed out, you should hear an improvement even with entry level Node 2i. There are several online retailers offering 30 days returns on Node 2i, try it before you spend more money on another streamer. I think your bottleneck is Roku 4 and Toslink/SPDIF converter.

If you hear improvements with Node 2i, then pursue a better DAC that allows you take advantage of high quality streaming from Qobuz (dump Tidal).
My USBridge Signature sounds better than my BluNode both into the same DAC.  
Definetly NOT high end.

As far as your query, my Tidal trial is over. Never bothered to try it on the Roku.
I like Qobuz better.