Do not buy any Sonus Faber used

Sumiko just announced that
"IN ADDITION, SUMIKO WILL NOT SUPPLY PARTS AND/OR SERVICE FOR ANY SONUS FABER PRODUCT WITHOUT PROOF OF PURCHASE FROM A SUMIKO AUTHORIZED DEALER IN NORTH AMERICA ".

What a curious statement . Can you imagine Volkswagen refusing to provide parts for their own cars, no matter where they were bought? I do hope other distributors will follow. It would surely drive the prices down considerably on Audiogon for used gear.
limono
When I said "better terms" I didn't mean only the price. In your example, no I won't pay $30k instead of $40k.
But I will buy cartridge from England for 60% what it is here or motor controller for my Nottingham table. Not big money true. Some American distributors and dealers just feel entitled to much more than what I would consider reasonable. Yes, I am aware of import taxes and such. Too much greed and need to control.
That comments from Elizabeth re Parasound are nonsense.

I have spoken with Tony at Parasound tech support on numerous ocasions and have gotten any part I needed. I buy most if not all my Parasound stuff (inc JC-1s and JC-2s) used and have never been asked to provide proof of auth dealer purchase to get parts. Tony has even helped me with mods to Parasound's design flaws in getting alternative parts (like the JC-1 current surge protectors that can burn up; a design that was changed in later units. Parasound will replace the originals for free). I buy Parasound equipment because they are one of the very few companies that will give you schematics of any product they produce. Try getting those from Cambridge Audio or many other brands. Bryston is pretty good as well, but only a few schematics are supplied by Bryston.

So what is sometimes published policy is rarely enforced, but is there just in case they run across a case of abuse.
Janeb

Your post:

I have had very good service whenever I have talked to Sumiko. However, I have to wonder how often a speaker will need warranty repair anyway? After all, what's to really fail....the driver, the x-over the connectors...???? I could see that an amp manufacturer or other electronic manufacturer would have concerns, BUT a speaker manufacturer? Don't quite get it! How many times have you bought a speaker and it has had a problem during its limited warranty period...I never have.

My post:

FWIW. I have 5 Vienna Acoustics speakers in my system, which are distributed by Sumiko. All speakers were purchased through authorized dealers. I had one of the drivers go out on one of the speakers in less than two years. However, the dealer handled the replacement driver in an acceptable manner.
Musicpod why would a driver fail? I can understand it if you over drive the speaker, which would be your fault, but under normal use....I don't get it.
What reason was there for your Vienna drivers failing in such a short period of time?? My point is that I can see a tube amp manufacturer or a digital device manufacturer be concerned about infant mortality in their product, but a speaker manufacturer...............?
Phaelon's point cannot be dismissed, and is THE issue at hand, especially for THIS website, a facilitator of USED equipment. Sumiko's policy is clear and broad: there will be NO service/parts for used speakers that cannot be verified as originally sold through a dealer. I understand this for a new speaker needing warranty repair, however, this policy clearly impacts the used community in a BIG way, as I'm sure that many if not most transactions here do not include an original invoice. I'm sure many don't have it to begin with, especially if the equipment has been sold several times, a not atypical scenario here at agon. The OP has it right. Under these circumstances, the used market for SF might be tenuous at best. It should actually collapse price-wise, except for the fact that most used buyers will not be aware of Sumiko's new policy, and even future agon buyers will likely not know as this thread slowly fades away. One thing Sumiko must understand, however, is that a robust used market facilitates new product sales as those wishing to upgrade or change have an outlet to unload equipment for a fair price and use the proceeds to buy new. IMHO, an unnecessary and potentially damaging business decision by Sumiko.