Are there any speakers for nearfield listening that sound GREAT at low volumes?

Back with another question.  I've set up a small system for my home office.  My large desk sits at a right angle to the right wall, and as a result there is about 6 feet behind the speakers.  My local audio store remains closed due to COVID, so I'm buying gear based from reviews, and 'sounds like' something I've heard in person.

I picked up a pair of Totem Acoustic Sky speakers here, and I have been a little underwhelmed with the sound.  I play my music at low or moderate volumes, so as not to disturb my wife in the other room.  Today she went to her sister's house so I turned them up a bit.  Wow!  Now they sounded every bit as good (or better) than what I was expecting!!  Just terrific!  When my wife got home I turned the volume down, and everything got much smaller in a hurry.  The specialness just disappeared when the volume went down.

So my two questions.  Are there are small monitors (appropriate for desktop nearfield listening) that have that 'special' quality at low volumes?  My listening set-up is only 36" between the center of woofers, and the same to my seated listening position.

Second question, would a sealed speaker perhaps be better sitting out away from any wall, as in my set-up?  Would an LS3/5A speaker perhaps be the best fit?  If so, how do they sound at low volumes?

Thanks for your help!
Ag insider logo xs@2xazkeith
You might consider an integrated amp with a loudness switch.  With it engaged, your speakers will sound more "full" at lower volumes.

A great many of the older integrated amps had this feauture.  You can pick one up for close to nothing on the 'bay or your local craigs to see if that works for you.  

Good luck.

I owned Totem Rainmakers, and like the Sky's, and their model ones, they do need a bit of volume to open up. But sound great when they do. I agree with Audiodweb, an integrated with a loudness would probably be best. I say that because I now own Harbeth 30.2's which sound fine at low levels, but with my Luxman 590AXII with tone and loudness  and when I kick in the loudness at low volumes they sound as great as when I crank them up straight. So, two very different speakers both needing the boost when at low volumes. Changing speakers might help a bit, but I think you'll be disappointed. And I have the same problem with my wife, so I know what you are going through For me, the solution was adding the loudness, not changing speakers.