Brainstorm Thursday. Are we approaching the Audiophile Singularity?

With how advanced computers, materials and manufacturing processes are becoming are we heading toward a time when everything will sound great but kind of the same? In pursuit of chasing measurements on paper and computer screens are we forcing sound into anemic territories? Or is flat is flat is flat is flat? 
Nothing to get serious about this is more for s's and giggles. Feel free to add any other brainstorming audio thoughts that could be fun to discuss! 

I agree with djones51. Preamps/amps/DACs have achieved equivalence.”

I prefer to see these as “solved problems”. The business of Hi-Fi should be faithful reproduction. Distinctive flavors and personal tastes can always be added at the end with DSP. My favorite ice cream is Rum Raisin but I got to admit, it is just vanilla with a serving of rum and raisin added. So let us start with the best vanilla and add whatever we prefer at the end.
Measurements shmezurements....I can care less, as long as it sounds good to me. Too many of these measurement geeks appearing on you tube and else where. Constantly trying to debunk sound differences people claim to hear. It is predominantly catered to speaker cables and interconnects etc...they are hell bent on proving there is no difference and that we are all stupid and wasting our money. 
I’m not really a measurement guy because:
  • I cannot afford the technology to investigate the measurements
  • I trust my ears
But there are a couple of measurements that I have come across which allowed me to explain the why’s of a couple of aspects of this hobby.

e.g.
why does one cable sound more dynamic than another
- "generally" because of the metals used, which translates to CONDUCTANCE - they simply convey the signal faster
why does one cable reproduce the image better than another
- "generally" because of the Geometry of the cable and the lower DIELECTRIC CONSTANT of the insulation material used - i.e. a well designed cables will convey a "cleaner" signal, which builds a more complete image

Combining these "discoveries" of Metallurgy, Geometry and Dielectric Constant allowed me to build some amazing cables.

But up until the last 4-5 years - I had not been clued in to these aspects of cable design and what they can do for a cable

Now it’s not quite "that simple", but it’s about 80% of "my cable journey"

So from my perspective - the "measurements guys" often provide a valuable contribution - even though they might not FULLY understand the full impact of the measurement.

Always brainstormin - Steve
@williewonka 

You’re absolutely right. Nothing happens without measurements. My problem with the measurement guys is that they think it’s the last word   But their problem is that they don’t know what they don’t know. I hope that one day we will be able to look at a specs sheet and know all that there is to know about a piece of gear but we are not there yet unfortunately. I want to know about the specs as much as the next guy but I also want to listen. My ears are the last and final arbiter. 
@millercarbon
 Measurebators sure created an influx of amazing ads, yeah baby yeah!

Regards,
barts