Level matching for a/b testing?

We all know that 'louder sounds better', so practically speaking, how do you set equal levels for a/b listening tests? 
oldskoolmark
Yeah that's the story. I guess starting out we all need whatever extra we can find. Probably play the same track over and over again too I bet. None of which is necessary- and for as long as it is, this alone is saying you are not there yet. Think about it. If you are so easily deceived, it can only be due to not being aware of the volume difference. If you are unaware of the volume difference, then what else are you missing? And you are gonna rely on what, a meter? To make up for what you can't hear? You see how little sense it makes?
@millercarbon I hope that the overwhelming majority of your other 8324 posts are less condescending and more instructive than this response. Otherwise, why do you bother?

Because now at least you are thinking about it, and maybe a little less likely to waste your time with meters and stuff like all the nice but ultimately less helpful people will say.

oldskoolmark OP

Use your phone with a dB level app in it.
Play a set "reduced level 1khz sine wave" so it’s at the same volume control position setting as where you normally listen at, note the positions for each of the pieces you want to a/b then play music on both at those volume positions.
https://youtu.be/PyD9cMarVJk

Cheers George