Is the appeal to euphonic distortion learned?

Hi everyone,

I have been thinking a little bit about the idea of euphonic distortion. The idea that we can make an amplifier or preamplifier sound better by not being so absolutely true to the input. The common story is that by adding 2nd order harmonics the music sounds more pleasant to more people. Certainly Pass has written a great deal, and with more nuance and detail about this and makes no bones about his desire to make a good sounding, rather than well measuring product.

Lets keep this simple description of euphonic distortion for the sake of argument, or we’ll devolve into a definition game.

I’m wondering whether it is possible that this is in large part learned? For instance, if I grew up with non-euphonic amps and then was exposed to an amp with high amounts of 2nd order distortion would I like it? Is the appeal here one which you have to have learned to like? Like black coffee through a French press?

And this discussion is of course in line with my thoughts about the ear/brain learning process. That there are no absolute’s in music reproduction because we keep re-training our ears. We keep adjusting what we listen to and ultimately at some point have to decide whether the discrimination between gear makes us happier or not. (Go ahead writers, steal this topic and don't mention me again, I know who you are).
erik_squires
@mapman FWIW we are beta testing our class D amps right now. If we don't run into any emissions issues we expect they will begin production later this spring.
@atmasphere I think a lot of people will be looking forward to that!

I will hang on to my current amps at least a bit longer then....

If the Class D amps don’t turn out to be greener than the average tube amp, that would be something!
Overthinking...either it grabs you or it doesn’t
Hopefully these discussions can educate. Maybe someone may realize they like something different than their preconceived notions.  For example, after comparing many FM tuners I now prefer a 1950's Fisher tube tuner over digital HD radio. After many comparisons, I prefer SS pre-amps with tube amplification. Discovering, "what we like" is part of what makes this enjoyable. We all over time learn what characteristics of sound we prefer.  
By adding a simple vacuum tube you can flavor even harmonic 
distortions per brand of tubes ,in a good way .
even SS gear can voice their gear very close to Tubes in some respects Jfets, Mosfets, matched Bipolar transistors ,all have harmonics similar to pentodes in many ways with even more precise lead edge detail.many engineers build the harmonics
into the design per their interpretation of what is harmonically 
pleasing.
A few years ago I read an article about how young people seemed to prefer listening to MP3 through cheap ear pods than higher resolution media through well measuring high end audio systems.
 It appears to me that when people attend concerts; people often prefer to hear the old classics rather than new material.
 All this suggests to me that people have a neurological response to the familiar, and in answer to the OP question; imho yes, the appeal of euphoric distortion is learned,
 As a personal aside, as a young man, for several years I attended musical events almost every night of the week, most of which were unamplified. To this day I find that while tube amps can sound pretty, they don’t sound like the live performances I attended...unless a musician used a tube instrument amp during the performance.