Raven Audio Nighthawk

So the scuttlbutt on the Raven integrated amps is pretty good. But just how good are they? Are they good when compared to other comparably priced tube integrateds? Or are they better than some heavy hitters?

I currently have a NOSvalves ST-45 amp paired with a Don Sachs Model 2 (latest version) preamp and I am extremely happy with this pairing. With that said, I guess there is nothing really that I'm looking to improve. But since we all know how this game goes, I just wonder how much better (or not) the Blackhawk III would be. Consolidating two pieces down to one chasis is an attractive idea too.

I would love to hear from you if you own a Nighthawk or Blackhawk or have auditioned one against something else. I know they offer a 45 day trial period, but from my calculations if I don't like it it will cost me close to 400.00 out of pocket once the dust settles. So I'd like to go into this with a warm fuzzy that it's pretty darn good.

Oz

128x128ozzy62
I just got the Blackhawk and can attest to its imaging, soundstage and resolution. It also punches well above its 20 wpc weight in terms of current output and ability to drive less sensitive speakers. However, I’m on the fence about sending it back. There’s a faint 60Hz transformer hum that just wasn’t an issue with the Parasound Halo on the same power circuit that it replaced that just irks me when it emerges in quiet opera passages. Parasound apparently embalms the transformer in epoxy to dampen it, and I understand this is the nature of tubes, but I do crave a more quiet amp
I find it interesting that Raven Audio touts their in-home trial as "risk free" when they charge a 7% restocking fee and shipping both ways.  As the OP writes, that's a $400 risk-free trial.  I have returned some equipment from a big online seller and there was NO charge at all: no restocking fee, no shipping to me, no shipping back to the seller (they sent a pre-paid UPS shipping label).  That is what I would call risk-free.
Precisely why I’m trying to convince myself to live with it. But I haven’t put the Parasound on the market yet...
You might like it. Actually, you probably will. I don't even know that amp at all, but most amps are good nowadays. 
@robertcropdust I am interested in a Raven Avian series too. How did you both decide on a Blackhawk as opposed to a Nighthawk or Osprey? Thanks!
@mickeyb I feel like the upgraded parts will make a difference. And I like the better powder coat finish too. I might have considered the Osprey, but James at Raven says the only difference is the extra power, and I don't need that.

I find it interesting that Raven Audio touts their in-home trial as "risk free" when they charge a 7% restocking fee and shipping both ways. As the OP writes, that's a $400 risk-free trial. I have returned some equipment from a big online seller and there was NO charge at all: no restocking fee, no shipping to me, no shipping back to the seller (they sent a pre-paid UPS shipping label). That is what I would call risk-free.

@billzame
Yeah I'm a little hung on this one too. I understand the shipping, but the 7% restock fee is a tough pill to swallow. I know they can't sell it new, but so few of them come back it would seem like a good business move to eat that 7% on a few amps to get more out the door.

I'm still on the fence, but leaning towards a purchase.

Oz