Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant
harrylavo

Good to see you here. Thank You for sharing your Cable history. 
I started w/ Monster Cable in the late 80's myself.

Happy Listening!
@snbeall Finding a stereo pair of Thiel subs with the appropriate crossover is a tall order. And, yes, lack of amp service is an issue (I think Rob Gillum only services speakers). Finally, the Vandersteen room correction is very appealing (although I would have to send my integrated amp to Ayre for an internal crossover). But this is academic as I’m not seriously considering this move. I am aware of my system’s minor shortcomings and enjoy it nonetheless. Immensely. I mean, it’s not like it sounds broken.

:)
beetlemania,

tomthiel and Rob have said they lack the schematics for any of the active electronics (at least until the bankruptcy is settled - the hope being that they might turn up once they can sift the ashes). This includes all of the sub amps. The amplification stage itself was OEM’d out toward the end (BASH?) so might be serviceable. The secret sauce of Jim’s room boundary circuits is a different story. I happen to have a SS-1 whose original amp died and was replaced with the latter USS amp plate which (I am hoping) will be serviceable.

That said, can you point me to page number where your 2.4 DIY work is discussed?
@snbeall I don’t think there is any single page or post that summarizes what I did or why. Relevant posts begin January or February, 2018. I made my final changes about one year later. So, look at pages within that interval, especially posts by Tom Thiel.
I hate cables.  I really do.

Started with:

Computer (running wtfplay) --> Synergistic Active USB --> MSB Analog --> Chord Cobra VEE2 --> Krell FBI --> Audioquest 4 --> Thiel 2.7

Current state:

Computer (running wtfplay) --> Synergistic Active USB --> MSB Analog --> Transparent Reference XL MM2 --> Krell FBI --> Acoustic Zen Satori --> Thiel 2.7

Had the opportunity to pick up a pair of the Transparent Reference XL MM2 interconnects for a fraction of the retail price so I jumped on it.

Put them in from DAC to Integrated amp.

Instantly hated it. It made the treble for lack of a better term "scratchy". So I put the Straightwire Maestros in for the AQ. That turned a colorful but scratchy sound into greyscale.

Have a pair of Acoustic Zen Satori speaker cables laying on the floor. Put those in and voila! it all comes together. I had tried the AZ cables several times and they always disappointed. With the Transparent cables in between the DAC and amp they are amazing.

Was listening to the Shostakovich 7 with the CSO and Bernstein on DG.  Toward the end of the 4th movement the brass is doubled.  The normal section is stereo right as per usual and the additional players are on stereo left.  I have never heard something so massive on record.  Live is another story.  The color was on par with what I have heard them do live.  The range and impact was there. It was glorious.