Backup Generator transfer switch

In the past two issues of Stereophile, Michael Fremer has been discussing the disastrous results to the sound of his system after having a backup generator installed at his home. The system is not running on the generator, but he believes it has to do with the transfer switch that gets installed on the AC signal path.  He describes a pre-generator experience as "intense and emotionally elevating" afterwards "everything good was gone, two large ill-focused boomboxes had replaced absolute magic".  I recently moved and had been listening to my system prior to and after the installation of a Generac whole house generator, I did not notice any change in the sound, I can still sit and enjoy the music for hours with no sense of fatigue.  Perhaps my ears are shot or my equipment is not expensive enough.  Anyone here have any experiences with generator transfer switches?

Thanks
Ag insider logo xs@2xdeadlift
I heard Mike was a stellar surgeon but quit to sell stereo gear.
Love his attitude. Bit of a smart ass as I am. 

I will ask a question not completely on point but one I have been
asking for 2 years now and have yet to have an answer.

Which piece of equipment does one use to measure his AC power
"Cleanliness" for lack of a better term?

What measurement is considered good? 

I would rather spend $5k on other pieces vs a regenerator
so how to establish a base line? Is this a logical question?
I fully admit to being techno challenged.

Or Should I go to ASR with this one?

Thanks in advance to anyone with a correct answer!!!
Post removed 
I have a manual transfer switch and a Honda generator. I have a dedicated line for my system, but it doesn't run through the switch. I added another grounding rod which may have quieted things down a little. Electrical components should be robust. There's a big difference between a 79 cent plug and a 5 dollar one. Some panels have thicker bus bars with more copper. About once a year, I tighten all the breakers in my panel. 
I would never run any delicate and or expensive Electronics on generator power!!!!
I am an audiophile who sells and installs generators.  absolutely no reason that an ATF should impact anything.  it is closed contact.  electricity travels through it just like your main breaker.