New-ish to Audiogon Forums... Is it always like this?

I have been trying to be more involved in the forums over the last couple weeks, and I'm noticing a trend already. It seems that when someone asks for a recommendation for a piece of equipment, they provide little to no room/system context. In a couple threads, I've asked the OP to provide more information, such as system information, preferences, requirements, and the like, and ended not getting much more information. The thread ends up being a running list of members' favorite gear, whether it really helps the OP or not. Is this the norm? If so, I'll probably stop trying to be more involved.
128x128daveman2
yep you purdy much got the fix on things here

but one needs to understand that many people come here not knowing, have money, not knowhow, needing to learn, so it behooves us who have been around the block to have some capacity to educate

but i do agree, if, upon prompting for more info, the asker of the question still doesn’t step up, it is then clearly worth my time and effort to answer thoughtfully
As with any blog, these is good and bad. I agree that lots of folks come here looking for a simple, straight-forward "what should I buy?" question, or confirmation that they already know the right answer, and are not looking for a discussion or for someone to say that's not correct. But there are enough people who come here who do actually want help. Even when they don't respond, for whatever reason, the  "I have X, buy it. I tried Y, don't buy it." is helpful. 

Don't give up yet. I have only been here a few months, some threads don't go anywhere, many are dups, some go off the tracks, but overall most are good, and personally I really hope I've helped out a few folks, at least a little.
"...The thread ends up being a running list of members' favorite gear..."

It's hard to recommend gear that's not our favorite or we haven't heard. 
I've been here over 20 years. It ebbs and flows. Keep trying. Sooner, or later, a great thread will come along and you'll be rewarded with a "thank you" and a sense of accomplishment for your efforts.

"Do a good turn daily". Good words to live by.........

BTW, some of the most active threads on AudiogoN are "music" related threads (What's playing on your TT, CD player, streamer, etc). Lot's of good participation, no trolling, no competition, etc. Give them a try if you want a good, active, long running thread , in which to participate.