SoundSmith cartridges how good?

And how do they compare to others. Forget about cost just thoughts on sonics? Obviously if matched with correct tonearm.
rsf507
@glupson

It has nothing to do with the sound, but the only small gripe about my Otello (I think it is previous generation, maybe two years or so old now) is the stylus protector. It is trickier to place on than those few from other manufacturers I have tried. Admittedly, I have not tried too many, but even those few were simpler.

It’s actually one of the simplest if you do it correctly, it just automatically snaps into place. Peter has a very short video on his web site showing how to do it.

Here, I found the YouTube link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikXNwh8Tfs8
bkeske,

It snaps in place and stays there firm. It may be my big fingers, clumsiness, something else, but it does need some aiming when placing on, and finding the little protrusion to pull when taking off. Video shows the principle. However, there is no headshell in the video so everything is more accessible. In my experience, the part to pull to "unlock" when taking off is very close to wires. It is small, too. Fingers have to fit between the plinth and cartridge, avoid wires, locate the protrusion, and pull it in the right direction while keeping the arm in one place.

Compared with Soundsmith’s approach, Ortofon’s OM series protectors are like a breeze. They do not lock, but I have never had one fall off. Maybe by luck, but possibly by design, too. The shape of the front of the cartridge (stylus area) seems to have similar shape.

Again, it may be just me, and even for me the complaint is not major, but I have had Technics, Ortofon (multiple shapes), Audio-Technica and Soundsmith’s approach is not to my liking. I am a bit sorry I brought it up because it is really a minor issue on what I consider a decent (for me) cartridge that I would buy again.

EDIT: I just tried to put a stylus cover back on and off. To practice, I guess. Usually I do that when everything is off, but this time turntable was connected and amplifier set to phono input. I tried carefully and heard the noise. Basically, the protector rubbed against the stylus while being placed on. It did not seem to touch it when it was on, but pulling it over makes it go under a small angle at first and that is the moment it rubs on the stylus.

I doubt it makes any damage, at least not any more than the record surface would, but imperfect of a system it seems to be.
Peter Ledermann did Zoom interview for our Group last summer.
I was very impressed with the fact that they will a rebuild stylus
for anything they make. I do not think other makers offer that do they?
His company was chosen by B&O to handle all their repair work
for years.
Recently B&O decided to rejuvenate about 90 of the old
straight across (Sorry forgot model) turntable  and asked Peter
to do the work. I believe I heard these rehabbed units will be offered 
at about $10k. 

A member of our group, AZAVCLUB sent his old B&O in for a rehab after hearing the story. He said the work was performed in the window promised for less that the quoted cost range.

Peter also started a charity that he operates which helps children who were once slaves readapt to society. If you buy the music they offer on his site a portion goes to the charity.

That said Peter is not a young man and has a lot of balls in the air.

Anyone who does some research about companies before they buy 
will see a few good reasons to choose Sound-Smith.

Thank you Peter for setting an example of what a quality human being can be.
@glupson 

Yep, I get it. My Goldring 1042 may be the easiest as it simply slides on. My Ortofon Mono I find a pain in the rear, to me. Snapping in that rear tab is a bit clumsy.

I use the guard almost nightly, as I cover my SOTA with a cloth/vinyl soft cover, and cautious out the cover snagging the cart/stylus. So perhaps I’ve gotten used to it. My biggest ‘getting used to’ was sliding it on over the stylus guard area initially. Perhaps my fingers are smaller, as I find ‘unclipping’ the guard perhaps easier than you. Nice thing is, I slide it over my lift lever, so it’s alway there and does not get lost on the plinth somewhere, or easily knocked-off.
bkeske,

You are fast. I just edited my post above to reflect what I tried in the meantime.

This lift lever placement is ingenious. Thanks. I have always been looking not to lose the cover.