enough amplifier power

I am curious as to why so many people think that their amplifiers are powerful enough for their speakers. I use a Yamamoto A-08S--around 1.5 watts output. I use it with a Fostex F-106ESR. The combination is a little ragged at low volumes, but beautifully immediate. Distorts awfully at anything approaching a decent volume. I see people using 20-100 watt amplifiers with medium efficiency loudspeakers. I do not see how this can work any better. If you work out the math, most loudspeakers need 200-500 watts minimum. That is not even taking into account low impedance loudspeakers. Do people not know what distortion sounds like? Or, compression either, for that matter? Please enlighten me.
hedwigstheme
The golden rule is that your amplifier should be about twice as powerful as your speaker can handle (RMS or peak, as long as both devices are measured the same way).

This is for a safety margin to be able to handle clipping.  If your amplifier can soft clip, then pretty much anything goes, as long as you can live with the distortions of either, when pushed to their limits.

@cakyol completely agree. 
 Had a good hour and a half+ conversation with Roger Sanders a while back.
we covered quite a bit, I asked so many questions, he answered every question with complete care, and when I asked him “English please”
 he explained everything so I can understand. A damn good dude!”

You need minimum double the watts for a given speakers continuous rating. Headroom, with the amps ability to stay absolutely stable, and with complete ease to drive the speaker to the limits (vol knob) to what you want with no clipping what so ever. 
   I’ve been a believer of this for the past 20 years. Once I talked to my audio guys from simply stereo in.............YES, orland park, ILL.  back on about 1990-1993 I think.  Loved those guys, wish I still had contact with them. They were my heroes back then, and taught me a lot about audio, brands, speakers' amps, cables' etc etc.   

Anyway. I’m a believer of never enough power, for the ease to drive music without the possibility of clipping  

Aaahhhhh. Bushmills 21!

Sorry. I don’t get the argument here.

So the OP has a 1.5 watt amp, then complains that amplifier power is necessary to enjoy really good sound???

My speakers are rated at 90 dB/w/m. Average sensitivity. My amplifier is rated 90 w/ch clean. So??

I rarely use more than 5 watts/ch of power for loud listening levels. 

So, what am I missing here? Is 85 watts headroom not enough?? 

Is this some example of “Common Core” math???
i used to read stereo review since the early 70's! this magazine said that you should buy a unit with the most watts you can afford!