Classical Top Five

If most will concede Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, and Brahms as " the given" top 4, who would you choose as number 5? 
jpwarren58
brownsfan,

I agree with you about Bach.  I was just raising an argument about what counts as greatness and whether influence of future composers can arguably be the main measure.  I also agree with you about the greatness of the St. Matthaus Passion, although I might still favor the B Minor Mass.  The only thing he didn't do was opera, but, his vocal works certainly show that he had what it took to do opera if he had thought it a worthy endeavor.  
The only knock against Bach and it is completely hypothetical. He composed for roughly 40 years. Mozart composed for 20. If you could switch that would you? And would it have made that much difference in our appreciation of Bach?
It would be extremely difficult to speculate what Mozart would have done with more years; I would expect really great things, but, who knows?  Based on early accomplishments, Korngold should have been a musical giant; he was good, but not that good.  Given what he had done in his short life, particularly what he did in the last year or so of his life, I would say that Schubert's premature death was the biggest loss to the world of music.
Bach, replace Mozart with Haydn, Beethoven, replace Brahms with Schubert.  5th?  Rachmaninoff. 
Arguments as to who is the greatest composer are, of course, subjective.
The composer who is the most meaningful to you is the “greatest.”
For me it’s Beethoven, then Mozart, then Bach.
Of course in the sheer volume of first rate compositions, Bach is probably the most prolific. But, to me, Beethoven, also by dint of volume, but also in the variety and scope of his masterpieces is the most meaningful.
I don’t believe anyone reached higher in inspiration than Mozart, but his short existence on this earth limited him.