Are warm or colored speakers disrespectful of musicians/producer/engineers?

Sure, they may be pleasing to the ear, but don't non-transparent speakers (and other gear) represent presumptive editing--across the board, regardless of the musicians' intent?
Just a provocative thought.
Let's be nice to each other if this thread takes off.
128x128m669326
I feel badly for m669326 on this thread. I think he actually had a pretty good topic for discussion, a LOT better than many of the ridiculous threads that are started here! 

I think he has been misinformed in regards to "warm" vs. "detailed" speakers. They all have a range of all parameters of performance. The speaker is created to suit he creator's (manufacturer's) ears and their perception of how the music should sound. There is plenty of diversity in the community, such that one is almost assured that a subset of audiophiles will enjoy the result. 

In interaction with speaker makers, I see little of the predatory, sales only, mindset that some skeptics here have expressed. I see much of the zeal for creation of the speaker that captures the soul of the performance. It appears many audiophiles have a hard edged skepticism in regard to manufacturers, as though predominantly concerned about the almighty dollar less than the sonic result. I do not find that to be the case. 

i.e. making every piece of music with more bass, or "smokier"... This is done because the designer is imposing their personal preferences, according to how they feel the end result should sound. I do not know many designers who hold to the specs/measurements strictly. I believe that when they voice the speakers, most manufacturers feel they are respecting the music/artists. 

Perhaps I'm not cynical/skeptical enough? But, I have had interaction with many HiFi speaker makers, and I cannot think of one who was not driven by zeal to make a product that was "honest" to the recording.  
I feel badly for m669326 on this thread. I think he actually had a pretty good topic for discussion, a LOT better than many of the ridiculous threads that are started here!

I think he has been misinformed in regards to "warm" vs. "detailed" speakers. They all have a range of all parameters of performance. The speaker is created to suit he creator's (manufacturer's) ears and their perception of how the music should sound. There is plenty of diversity in the community, such that one is almost assured that a subset of audiophiles will enjoy the result.

In interaction with speaker makers, I see little of the predatory, sales only, mindset that some skeptics here have expressed. I see much of the zeal for creation of the speaker that captures the soul of the performance. It appears many audiophiles have a hard edged skepticism in regard to manufacturers, as though predominantly concerned about the almighty dollar less than the sonic result. I do not find that to be the case.

i.e. making every piece of music with more bass, or "smokier"... This is done because the designer is imposing their personal preferences, according to how they feel the end result should sound. I do not know many designers who hold to the specs/measurements strictly. I believe that when they voice the speakers, most manufacturers feel they are respecting the music/artists.

Perhaps I'm not cynical/skeptical enough? But, I have had interaction with many HiFi speaker makers, and I cannot think of one who was not driven by zeal to make a product that was "honest" to the recording.  
 Report this

I am not often in the same boat than you but when you are right you are....

My best to you....
Why do I picture Paul from PS Audio reading the headline of this thread like one of those write in questions he addresses on you tube?
In interaction with speaker makers, I see little of the predatory, sales only, mindset that some skeptics here have expressed.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

I think the buyers are mixing up "Sales" with the "Manufacturing".

There are a few that sale direct to the public. The ones that don’t depend on outside sales.. Well they are salesman. They make a living doing it.. Sales could be Woody the used car salesperson or Edgar Perfect, "the all knowing" speaker sales person.. Your gonna get what they sell you, if your not careful. That is not the same as buying what you need or want. Sales people "spiel" don’t effect my decisions their pricing will.

Gear is 1/3 of the whole idea of Good Sound.. Unless you built a room for sound. Gear is 80% of the cost but 1/3 of the equation. Speakers take up 1/3 again with gear and cabling at 1/3 and 1/3. Not in cost but surely in effect..

Regards
As someone who spent many years working in recording studios, I can tell you that, in my experience at least, the final mixes of most music are a series of compromises made by the engineers to account for the many different acoustic environments the music will end up in.  Small speakers were used to simulate car audio, cassettes were played on boom boxes, and large in-wall monitors were usually only to impress the clients.  I don't think the idea is to have a final, accurate mix they want everyone to hear.  Just something that sounds good everywhere.  Audiophile lables like Chesky and MA may have a different method because they know their products are aimed at people with high-end systems, so they likely skip the boom box test.